Thread: Elm Grove Video

Default Elm Grove Video

I know I've made a couple of thread recently already. I will keep trying to return the favour and give feedback in other threads too. This is one that's been bothering me though.

(sorry the sound is out of synch, not sure why that happened)

I really like the intro shot, that's the one bit I'm happy with. The rest looks all wrong, but I can't quite pinpoint why. I know there is a way to make this idea work but I need to figure out how. I'm still in the very very early stages of putting this video together obviously. Any help would be great.

Blog Entries

Looks good to me. I can see what you mean about how it's - I'd put it at "not quite right" rather tha "all wrong" - but, like you, I'm not sure what it is. Not very helpful, I know. My hunch is there might be an issue with timeing - sone shots not being left on screen for long enogh to register before the next element is added, but then I thought the final shot with the rhythm guitar centre-screen was held for too long although in a way that was fine as the attention was drawn to te more interesting shot of the drummer (with the camera movement).

This is quite difficult to verify though, because once you think you've identified something which is not on screen for long enough, you're familar with it the next time ou watch - and hence this time it IS on sreen for long enough.

Another thought is that if you are not going to fill the whole screen with images, you should leave a bit more black space than you have. Having just a bit of black could look like you've simply failed to fill the screen properly.

Just possibilities: I'm far from sure I'm right.
    Tim

From what we have seen this seems like a perfect song for this type of video so well done for having the foresight to see it. I find this a difficult one to call. Once you think you have identified what might be "not quite be right", the change you make could then create a totally different dynamic to the piece so things like knowing what the song is about and what the other clips are is essential to be able to call this. For example if the song is about feeling alienated have the sing in the bottom corner alone with the other shots of the band "being together". If it's about being friends and good times try and find shots were there seems to be interaction ie man in box left looks to his right at man in box right looking back and smiling.

Apart from wondering why there is a brass cock, I thought everything was looking good until the mix of the top left box (more close up) with the mid shot in the centre box. I think I'd be more inclined to have the close ups more central or smaller box size or may be not I just don't know. I think the only way to really do this is to do it and watch it over and over and when you see a shot that doesn't look right to you change things. Then watch it again until you can't see anything that stands out. Then leave it for a while and come back to it the next day and see what you missed.

I can't see any other way to make a video like this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments. This form of editing is so time consuming haha. I think I'm going in a similar but slightly different direction. I'm still a long long way off being happy with it.

Ok that's an interesting move forward. I look forward to the end result.

(I am not an expert - I am not sure what the correct term is here, so I shall use the word 'frames'.)

I think the issue you are having arise because, not only must you find attractive positions to place the frames, and to ensure that each frame contains an attractive image; but also that the final composed image is also attractive. Not easy to juggle.
    To some extend, simple standards like the 'rule of thirds', may help. But I have no idea whether there there maybe some rules in composition. One of the difficulties will be, I suspect, is how to maintain the viewer's interest for the full song.

I don't know what software you are using, and whether you are using the best workflow - and hence; the time required to change things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ok that's an interesting move forward. I look forward to the end result.
    I think it's a great idea and an interesting look, but will be best used sparingly. Even that few seconds you showed us of it started to wear thin.
    Incidentally - what part of Surrey? Why Elm Grove? Surely not Elm Grove, Walton-on-Thames? Are we neighbours?
    Tim

You're definitely right that I need to use that effect sparingly and have more variation in the sort of shots I use. Maybe I need to not be afraid of just using a simple full screen single shot .
    Elm Grove is just the name of the band, idk where it comes from. I live in Bisley, near Woking.

I think I'm trying to do too much with the video maybe. I'll keep playing, hopefully I'll get into the swing of it. I've got to say that I've found music videos the most difficult to edit.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful as usual.