Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cropping like a clown

Angry cropping like a clown

I'm using Video Vegas Pro 9 and I'm having a weird rendering problem. I'm editing older footage shot on 24p(advanced pulldown) DV cam, at 4:3 aspect ratio(720x480) with horizontal black letter boxing making the visible image 16:9(720x362) . I've tried to crop the letter boxing out, to leave behind only the 16:9, but no matter what I do the letterboxing will NOT go away. First, I changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the "event pan/crop", and that did nothing. I then used cookie cutter to cut away the top and bottom in "media fx" for the whole track, but again, it did nothing. Then, I tried using both at the same time, again, nothing, my video still rendered in 4:3 with the horizontal black letterboxing, like you see below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So then I tried changing the dimensions during rendering, and this time I got something. In fact it did something mind blowingly weird. It added EXTRA letter boxing all around the image. I've tried several renderings including as an mp4, wmv, mainconcept mpg-2, and in each case it cut the video down, in some cases to "beyond" 16:9, but it still INCLUDED the the black letterboxing bars... by CUTTING OUT MY FOOTAGE above the bars WTF? On top of that it added extra black letter boxing, vertically, on the left and right( which might be why the video is beyond 16:9 now).

Here is what it did when I changed the dimensions in rendering to 720x368, and you can see how it chopped the footage above the girls head, and below her neck but left the black bars intact. How is this even possible?

What the hell is going on here? Does anyone have an explanation, cuz I just don't get it.

If you set the project properties to 4:3 or match the original footage with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Then with the pan/crop tool set the size to 16:9. Then render 16:9 this should do the trick for you. MAKE SURE YOU UN-TICK THE "STRETCH VIDEO TO FILL OUTPUT FRAME SIZE" tick box. Otherwise it will squash the out put image.

Blog Entries

Your pan and crop cutting to 16:9 did actually do something. It trimmed the black borders off the top and bootom and replaced them with transparent. Because there was nothing underneath the transparent showed through the default black background. (If you want proof try this. Do the same exercise, but on the track below place a coloured generated media, say cerice, then when you do the crop, you'll find the black bars have been replaced with cerise bars).

Your problem is simply that you're project properties are set to 4:3. Change them to a widescreen format and all wiill be well. (File | Properties)

{Edit: or do what Midnight said]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-09-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Tim

Thanks for the advice. I have not had a chance to do another render yet, but I will give it a shot.

Blog Entries

Thanks for responding. Let us know how it goes.
    Tim

I did what you said, and this is what I got.

In File/Properties I changed the dimensions from 720x480 to 720x368 (because it does not give a 16:9 option) yet from the ifo at the top of the image you can see it is still 720x480, and it looks like it shrunk the image creating "empty" spaces on the left and right which is made clear by the red solid I placed in as a test as one of you recommended. But no change to the top and bottom black letterboxing, and once again it kept the leterboxing, but cropped my image----I just can't comprehend how that is mechanically possible. How does the software "know" where the black ends and my image starts to crop my image but maintain the black lines intact. I'm also confused as to why the program "refuses" to follow instructions, because everywhere I could find I changed the dimensions to 16:9/720x368. I've changed the setting on every single clip, and in the overall project properties as far as I can tell, yet the program its still doing what "it wants" I'm baffled.

Sounds to me like you're doing a lot of faffin' about with sizes, but not selecting a WS template. In the top right hand corner of your project properties is a little folder icon. Click on it, then navigate to one of your source files. Select one/OK. Vegas will set the project properties as close as it possibly can.

But I don't want it to be original. That is my whole point. I want to "crop" it from the original 720x480 to 720x368. Yet no method that I have tried has worked, and when I change the original settings it crops my image below and above the black stripes instead of cropping the stripes themselves . Just look at my screen caps above.

So has no one encountered this problem before, in bold? I'm the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by anoldblackmarble View Post
    But I don't want it to be original. That is my whole point. I want to "crop" it from the original 720x480 to 720x368. Yet no method that I have tried has worked, and when I change the original settings it crops my image below and above the black stripes instead of cropping the stripes themselves . Just look at my screen caps above.

So has no one encountered this problem before, in bold? I'm the only one?
    Blimey...that must be one of the longest time between replies ever! OK, I've gone back and re-read your posts. Firstly, you MUST choose a 16:9 template for your project properties. Secondly, open pan/crop on a clip. In the drop down box at the top select 16:9 widescreen. This'll crop the picture to that size. Is that what you're trying to achieve? You can copy/paste to the rest of your clips. (Right click, select events to end. Paste attributes).

What pixel aspect ratio are you setting in the properties and render settings ?

This seems to be getting much more confusing than it needs to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast