Thread: Using SSD as external Boot Drive for editing

Angry Using SSD as external Boot Drive for editing

Hey everyone,
    New here and really stuck on what to do!
    I have a 2011 MBpro with 2.2ghz, i7, 8GB ram, internal 750 HHD (used for part storage, part edit files), 1TB + 2TB WD external (for storage). I shoot on a 7D and edit with after effect cs5.5 (quite slow RAM previews). AE settings are - Memory: Ram reserved for other apps = 1.5, ram for AE 6.5, multiprocessing disabled.

I would like to buy a Kingston 128gb SSD (currently 50 from buyer) and use it as an external boot drive, install OSX 10.7 + After effects to edit films (mostly between 3-10mins) from here, using other my internal hardware and external monitor .

My query is... will using the SSD as an external drive (storing all required files/data) be pointless as I will be relying on the USB to talk with RAM/MBPro etc?

In my head it works but i am not very technically minded when we get to the nitty gritty of performance speak.

If this is a silly question i can only apologies, if so please direct me with what is the best set up i can make out of what equipment i own! I am a self shooting director and don't have alot of money to spend. I cut with AE as well as it is what i learnt on, I like the flexibility of it without importing exporting projects with premier, I do have FCut X but don't have the patience to learn and cut with it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Kyle

Blog Entries

You'd be better off installing the ssd internally, and connecting an external drive using the SATA connection for your optical drive.

Thanks for the response. The only problem is I need a lot more portable storage space than the 128SSD offers. I only need the speed of SSD for editing when stationary at home. Can I attach the SSD via firewire to the MBP, will that be quicker than USB?

Blog Entries

Apologies, that's not quite what I meant. This explains it better: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/blogs/m...o-editing.html

Oh.... This link does not seem to be working for me. This is what i get>
    KyleLondon, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.