Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubblegum Alley

Default Bubblegum Alley

As a good "student", I'd like to submit my home work. Bubblegum Alley - Believe It Or Not! - YouTube

Tried to address Tim's comments, but quite not there yet... Worked on a story, I hope it's interesting enough. Also, tried to add more people shots. Completely agree, I does make it more alive considering a "boring" main subject of the clip - a wall. I still need to improve my camera work - I love to pan and walk with a camera, but to make it look better, I will probably need a stabilizer. Also, simplified the closing slate.

Let me know if you have any comments... I should probably put it in a separate post.

[Moved to new thread. One video per thread please or the comments get confused]
    Last edited by mrzee; 08-08-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries

This is just about perfect for the subject matter. Perfect length, perfect light hearted commentary, all the right shots.
    I liked the opening in monochrome and the angle you put on it.
    I think I find it disgusting but fascinating.
    Great job!
    Tim

Quick and to the point. I could totally see that as an insert into a larger general knowledge / topical tv programme.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is just about perfect for the subject matter. Perfect length, perfect light hearted commentary, all the right shots.
    I liked the opening in monochrome and the angle you put on it.
    I think I find it disgusting but fascinating.
    Great job!
    Yes, that should have been the title: "Disgusting but fascinating"!

Just curious, did you not feel the need for a short history "lesson"? Usually, when I see this kind of documentaries (which are usually longer) - they give you much more historic background on the subject. All I have is a short mentioning of when and how this wall was possibly created. Maybe, I should have expanded it more...

Only in America.
    I think you did a great job with this. I thought the VO was especially well done.

I do feel you missed a trick, you could have spelt out "THE END" in bubble gum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrzee View Post
    Just curious, did you not feel the need for a short history "lesson"?
    No. I'm with you in that usually I'd want to know a bit more about it, but I think you would have needed to lengthen the film to accommodate it. If you lengthened it, it would be less of a curiosity and more of a documentary. Which I think would have killed it. Of course, I may be wrongs and a 3 min doco might work well, but i really liked this for what it was (and it seems others do as well).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    Quick and to the point. I could totally see that as an insert into a larger general knowledge / topical tv programme.
    Thank you. Yes, the intend was to keep it short, like Tim has said to give you a peak but no more...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Only in America.
    I think you did a great job with this. I thought the VO was especially well done.

I do feel you missed a trick, you could have spelt out "THE END" in bubble gum.
    Yeah... I don't think I would expect to find a wall like this somewhere in Europe. Good idea about adding an artistic THE END... ask the kids to to id, and show it with x5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If you lengthened it, it would be less of a curiosity and more of a documentary. Which I think would have killed it.
    Very good point.

10. Default

I really enjoyed this, it looks very well done. You have obviouly learned a lot already as a film student, from the filming style to the narrative and sound recording, to the editing, it looks very slick and professional. Just the right length too, it's like a mini news report in documentary style that captures and holds your interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast