Thread: Files in Pinnacle Studio 15 reading larger than they are?

Default Files in Pinnacle Studio 15 reading larger than they are?

Amateur video editor here.

I've been using Pinnacle Studio 15 HD to do some editing recently, and overall haven't had any problems, except one.

I have my final product file (usually an MPEG 2, the DVD compatible one) which for a 2 hour film is about 5 GB in size, but when I go to put it on a transfer device of any kind (a 16 or 32 GB flash drive) I get the continual message that there's not enough room for the file, even though the flash drives are completely empty.

It's like the .mpg files are reading as larger than they actually are.

I did manage to transfer one once, but that was using a terabyte drive, which had over 300 GB of space free.

I've searched Pinnacle sites and forums and online in general, but haven't been able to find any info about this particular issue. Is the file trying to copy over all attached render files/software/etc? I have no idea.

Any advice would be exceedingly welcome.

I'm running Windows XP. (I know, I'm a dinosaur...)

Thanks a bunch!

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

An interesting one. 5 Gigs for 2 hrs seems way to big. I have over 2 hrs worth less than 1 Gig.

Just a couple of suggestions although you may have tried this. First delete the auxiliary files in Pinnacle. Second do you have many transitions and special effects in your final production? This can greatly increase file sizes. The other thing I render to mp4. This could reduce the file its size worth a try.

Please post back let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Hello and Welcome to the Forum

An interesting one. 5 Gigs for 2 hrs seems way to big. I have over 2 hrs worth less than 1 Gig.

Just a couple of suggestions although you may have tried this. First delete the auxiliary files in Pinnacle. Second do you have many transitions and special effects in your final production? This can greatly increase file sizes. The other thing I render to mp4. This could reduce the file its size worth a try.

Please post back let us know how you get on.
    Thanks for the welcome. =)

I deleted the auxiliary files in Pinnacle. That freed up some space on my computer's hard drive, but didn't seem to have any effect on loading the movie files onto a transfer device.

And there's almost no transitions or special effects in the final movie product. Just a bunch of cuts.

And I did render the same file once before as an .mp4. That cut it down to about 3 GB instead of 5. But the video quality was also greatly reduced from the original product (which was about a 2 GB video to begin with) which is why I prefer the mpeg-2 options. And even with the finished .mp4, I was getting the same message, where the 3 GB final product wouldn't fit on an empty 16 GB flash drive, saying there was not enough space. (I tried multiple flash drives just to be sure, and got the same message from another empty 32 GB one).

Thanks a bunch for your time!

Just a thought. What is the original file size before you uploaded to Pinnacle? Is it just this particular video or do you get the same with all. The only other suggestion I could think of maybe Video file compression software.

The original file I'm working with is a 1.29 GB .avi video. Then I add about 436 MB of other .avi clips and render the thing to an mpeg-2. That comes out to be 5.32 GB...which is a completely acceptable file size. The computer just seems to think it's bigger than it actually is.

I've gotten this problem with every video I've done in Pinnacle so far.

And I'd be worried about video compression software bringing down the video quality. =(