Thread: Iguau Falls in Brazil, with Antonin Dvork serenade for strings

Default Iguau Falls in Brazil, with Antonin Dvork serenade for strings

I know the place helps a lot, but please send you sincere comments (as usual) on editing, camera work, music choice etc etc etc.... Otherwise Ill keep filling you with more garbage!!!

PS: I left the second shot a bit longer to let people find one little detail.... Can you find it??? Ok, bottom left.....and moves!
    Last edited by TonyBR; 08-04-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Absolutely beautiful scenery - but you still had to take the shots. You must have travelled all over to get shots of the falls from so many different angles, but this was well worth it. Beautiful shots of wildlife as well and all held together with a great choice of music (not a pies I was familiar with, but greatly enjoyed - that always helps!)

It seems nit picking to find fault but for me it didn't quite work as a piece.

I thought we were going to get lots of wonderful shots of the falls, particularly as that is what we did get for two minutes, and that would have been absolutely perfect for me.

Then, at 2.19 we got a close up of some mammal (showing my ignorance here), and then some more great shots of wildlife and the whole flavour of the film changed. Was it a film about the landscape? Was it a film about the Wildlife? Clearly it was both, but it seemed rather imbalanced for me only to introduce the wildlife halfway through. I think it was a case of my expectations having been different. Had you introduced just a few shots of wildlife very early on in the piece and then concentrated on just the falls for a while, I think I would have been looking forward to the wildlife, rather than having it come in as something of a surprise (and possibly detracting from the beauty of the scenery).

On a different note, I don't think you led with the best wildlife shot - an animal against a man made background seemed a bit of a harsh hange from the predominantly natural background we'd had until then.

My final negative is that I think you made the mistake of stretching out the material to fit the music. There were one or two, if not identical, very similar, shots in there and it began to feel just a tad too long.

Personally, I could watch just the first two minutes over and over again. And I'd probably watch a four minute version incuding wildlife if it was a bit more "balanced" over again as well.

I'd have loved to have seen the falls shot with a fast shutter speed for comparison.
    Tim

Hi Tim! Thanks for watching and, as usual, the perfect comments. BTW, Im a bit scared now, cause you are so precise that Im wondering:

1) Tim has a way to teletransport himself to BR while Im editing
    2) Tim can read my mind
    3) Tim can get invisible, sit on my side and read my mind!!!!

OK, so here comes a bit of my story for this piece. Ill not try to say that everything went like I planned, but mostly why I made the mistakes you spotted so well.... Not a justificative, but a "self-reading" on how I ended with the movie looking like it is now.... And Ill really apreciate your comments on this pre-planning I made too.

a) this was probably the first time I left home with some equipment and with some idea of what I wanted... With all that falling water, a calm piece within classical music and many close-up shots in opposition with pan shots.

b) the music chosen was previously in my mind too.... Not a popular classical, but calm and elegant (Dvork is both usually!) A bit long I tought, but I had a feeling that I could make enough material to fill it in an interesting way. After all, The Iguau Falls is among the Official "7 natural wonders" of the world"...

First day at the Falls and we got rain non-stop (kept filming and happy for choosing a good rainproof camera!! HXR-NX70 (NXCAM Compact Size Camcorder) 2nd Edition PAL long version - YouTube ). Liked all the white background I could get, thinking that it would give a super-mist look at the end.... Next day at the park we got some sun and a very clear air, so I went looking for pans and close-ups. Then, the bird park, where you literally get surrounded by the most magnificent birds you can imagine (I have a lot of other shots with different ones.... Ill publish soon).

Then, the editing at home....

a) central theme: the falls
    b) secondary themes: people at the park + local fauna

As you said, I really could have some of the bird shots in the beginning, instead of making them appear just after a couple minutes.... Now I see the imbalance you cited... But...errr, I tought that, in this way, I would have the initial attention to the falls, and then skip to a secondary theme. It was not to fill the time, but to insert a new theme after the main one (the falls) was enough pictured... But I agree that it feels like: well, ok, put some birds there to fill the space and music time....

The quati shot walking on the metal grid.... Its amazing how you spotted this specifically, cause it was a hard decision I made.... I have some good shots of quatis on the trees, even jumping from one tree to another, almost BBC wild doc-shooting quality . But at the park, one of the attractions is when the quatis get close to people on the walks, seeking for food.... So I tought about showing some of this...

But I see now that it caused a breaking with the main theme, that is quite wild and natural....

Im opening the project again today to try to fix some of this.... Lets see what comes next. Thanks a lot Tim.

PS: I didnt use the slowmotion option of my camera, as there is a drop of quality that I really hate to see after.... Maybe some slomo effect at Vegas?
    Last edited by TonyBR; 08-06-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: slowmo shots

Who is your audience?

I liked the little mammal and would have liked to see you interact with him, perhaps even give him a treat or try to pet him and see what happens.

I really liked the had-on shot of the falls in the rain.

The boat was out of place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Who is your audience?

I liked the little mammal and would have liked to see you interact with him, perhaps even give him a treat or try to pet him and see what happens.

I really liked the had-on shot of the falls in the rain.

The boat was out of place for me.

Audience: people searching info on Iguau Falls, family, friends, us....
    Spent hours telling my girls not to pet or feed animals in the park.... couldnt show them the opposite, eh?!
    Hummm...the boat..... Probably one of the best trips I ever made.... its a speed boat going upriver like crazy. You get wet...really wet!! But thatss not related to the film, I know....

Thanks Z

2) Tim can read my mind
    I sometimes think that.

Beautiful shots of a beautiful place. I think Tims right about the editing. Either make two different videos, one of the wild life and one of the falls or find a different way of incorporating them together better.

It's still a very nice piece.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    But I agree that it feels like: well, ok, put some birds there to fill the space and music time....
    Just to be clear, I didn't feel they were filler (the comment about stretching the video to fit the music was more general than that), just that the film suddenly changed direction unexpectedly. If in the first twenty seconds we see shots of the falls and of the wildlife, then it's perfectly reasonable to concentrate on the falls for two minutes, then the wildlife for two minutes as we are expecting it.

Maybe some slomo effect at Vegas?
    I'm led to understand that Twixtor will give far better slo mo than Vegas itself. Certainly this appears to be the case from the examples I've seen. But you have to really want it - it ain't cheap! (And using my invisibility cloak whilst looking through your wallet, I can see that you've spent plenty on your hobby already )
    Tim

Thanks again Tim, and I understood what you meant. I criticized myself with the "looks like filler".... My wyfe already said that Im too hard with myself, but that she will let me stop cutting my arms and kneeling on corn today... after changing the movie!!

OK, went back to the project last night, but couldnt change much the beggining (beginning? I know I have to repeat a letter somewhere here!).... The sequence of the falls looked just like what I wanted for the firt minute and half.... So maybe Ill splitt it in two separate works: falls & fauna; Made some colour corrections too, what I was reluctant to get into.... Liked it!!! Bad Tony!!

Took the quati on metal grid away. Now we see one briefly walking on the ground... Well, I dont know.... Its hard to get back on a project to change it!

Twixtor.... maybe my next birthday gift??? Although Im already ahead 3 birthdays and 4 Xmas gifts...

Tim, I got a "job" to make a movie for a friend. Can I ask you for some advice and ideas before I start shooting? I have one week to plan, with some shooting already confirmed for next saturday. I have to film children playing, but they are between 8 months and 2 years old. Not all together....individually....

Ill PM you, ok? MB and others are more than welcome to help too...

Blog Entries

Tim, I got a "job" to make a movie for a friend. Can I ask you for some advice and ideas before I start shooting? I have one week to plan, with some shooting already confirmed for next saturday. I have to film children playing, but they are between 8 months and 2 years old. Not all together....individually....

Ill PM you, ok? MB and others are more than welcome to help too...
    Can you not post the brief here. I think it will be far more productive as we can all bounce ideas off each other and point out any pitfalls from experience. I've started a new thread here.
    Tim