Thread: Image over video

Default Image over video

Hi there! I've been messing around in Vegas, seeing what it can do, and I'm having some problems with overlaying an image over my video. I created a new video track, added the image to it, and made sure that the image is in the right place on the screen at the right size, and appears where it needs to. However, instead of the image being overlayed on top of the video, it has instead replaced it. The entire video track (~8 mins) is just black, with the image appearing in the top corner as expected about half way through, and staying for about a minute as desired.

How do I tell Vegas 11 that I still want the video to be visible around the image?

http://i.imgur.com/xnUdA.jpg

That's showing what I'm getting. The small image is correctly in the top right corner, but the rest of the screen is black, and its still black when the image isn't shown either.

Weirdly, I have since been messing around a bit, and went into the video event pan/crop for the black video, and it was completely red. Going into the same for one of the earlier videos without the image overlaid and it was fine. But then when I went back to the problem video, I could see the video? However, playing through the last video part now has it going between playing the video properly (With the image correctly overlaid in the corner) and simply a black screen. Again, going into the pan/crop and going through it frame by frame, it is a mixture of the video and a red screen. Any idea what's happening, and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

iv*2,
    What's your Pixel format in Project Properties (video)? If it's one of the 32-bits, try changing to 8-bit. The higher value may be a drain to your computer resources? Also what is your graphics card? And set your project properties to match the properties of an existing media file clicking the Match Media Settings button there and browsing to the file you want to use.
    Last edited by vkmast; 08-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    iv*2,
    What's your Pixel format in Project Properties (video)? If it's one of the 32-bits, try changing to 8-bit. The higher value may be a drain to your computer resources? Also what is your graphics card? And set your project properties to match the properties of an existing media file clicking the Match Media Settings button there and browsing to the file you want to use.
    I don't think its a resource problem, as when I rendered it, it was black as well. I've got an AMD x6 1055T @ 3.5Ghz, and an AMD 6870X2 graphics card.

I'll try changing the pixel format, as its currently 32-bit (video levels). Matched the media settings as well. I'll see how it comes out tonight when I render it again.

You could try changing the compositing mode on the top track to get rid of the black background. I think if you change it to "add" it will make the black on the top track transparent. The only problem doing it this way is that it could take away some black detail in your image.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iviv View Post
    Weirdly, I have since been messing around a bit, and went into the video event pan/crop for the black video, and it was completely red. Going into the same for one of the earlier videos without the image overlaid and it was fine. But then when I went back to the problem video, I could see the video? However, playing through the last video part now has it going between playing the video properly (With the image correctly overlaid in the corner) and simply a black screen. Again, going into the pan/crop and going through it frame by frame, it is a mixture of the video and a red screen. Any idea what's happening, and how I can fix it?
    That really does sound like you're runnimng out of resources. I bet it's better (if only for a while) if you restart your PC.
    Tim

Looks like that might have been the issue. Rendered it again overnight and it has come out well now! Unfortunately, I'm struggling with file sizes now. I used to be using Premier Pro to do all my rendering, but I was able to get a copy of Vegas 11 through University, so decided to make the switch, this is the first time I've really been using it. However, that's a subject for another thread. Thanks for the help in solving this issue!