Thread: Repeating motion in video

Default Repeating motion in video

Greetings! Brand new here and now that I've got a camera that can do video, I thought I would start playing around with it again since last doing any shooting or editing in high school. I saw a music video and wanted to tinker around with recreating the effect that I saw...

The first thing that I would like to aim to do (at least on a first time playing around level is around the :17 second mark where you see the subject in just one repetitive motion. The second would be around the :45 second mark where that motion progresses a bit. I'm not necessarily looking to have the image split or cross process in the colors the way they do, but just emulate that motion in editing.

Jon Hopkins - Vessel (Four Tet Remix) (2010) - YouTube

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

What editing software do you have. The this effect could be done by taking a couple of snapshots a couple of frames apart and repeating them a number of times. However it would be better done in Sony Vegas with velocity curves. BUT like I said what software do you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What editing software do you have. The this effect could be done by taking a couple of snapshots a couple of frames apart and repeating them a number of times. However it would be better done in Sony Vegas with velocity curves. BUT like I said what software do you have.
    I have a copy of Sony Vegas, but I'll have to check which version. I'm also opening to demo'ing or purchasing new software. I'm mostly a still photographer (wedding and portrait) so this would be something I work on on the side and then possibly add to my weddings or portraits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
    I have a copy of Sony Vegas
    Doddle.
    Drag your clip to the timeline, creating an event.
    Find the very short section you want to repeat and split your event either side, thus creating three events (call them A B and C.
    Drag C out of the way (to the right)
    Copy event B and paste it several times (so it repeats)
    Now on every alternative event B, right click and select "Reverse".
    Job done.

That'll do it.
    Tim