Thread: Using 1920 x 1080 and 1440 x 1080 clips in same project?

Default Using 1920 x 1080 and 1440 x 1080 clips in same project?

Hi folks, I just started using two cameras to shootand unfortunately they have different resolutions. I am struggling to understand what is happening with the resolutions. I am using Sony Vegas 6.0b build 128.

I have the project properties set to 1920 x 1080, and I want to digitally zoom in on the lower resolution footage to match this aspect ratio. However, I think vegas is automatically stretching the 1440 footage to match the 1920 project properties when I import it. I would expect the unmodified 1440 footage to have bars at the left and right in the preview, but it doesn't. I have tried using event pan/crop, set-to-output-resolution, but can't make sense of what is happening. If I do use output resolution on the 1440 footage (which initially fills the screen), I get black bars at the top and bottom! Also, the 1440 footage has 1.3 pixel aspect ratio, and the 1920 footage has 1.0 pixel aspect ratio. I have tried messing with this as well but it doesn't seemt o do anything . . .

Can anyone help me?

It's not exactly different resolutions in the normal sense as they are both a form of 1080. The 1920 has square pixels and the 1440 has stretched pixels as you say.

If you use the 1920 x 1080 setting with square pixel setting does that work for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam W View Post
    Hi folks, I just started using two cameras to shootand unfortunately they have different resolutions. I am struggling to understand what is happening with the resolutions. I am using Sony Vegas 6.0b build 128.
    That is one ancient version of Vegas!

I wanted to get to see that version's "bugs" and "fixes". This from the White Paper from SONY site: Vegas® 6.0 February 2006 Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 6.0d."An issue that prevented certain media video properties from switching when relinking to offline media has been fixed." Pretty vague, I know, but maybe there is something in there. " . . certain media video properties", I can't imagine what they could be?Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using an older tried and tested version. Some say that VV6 was, and still is, their favourite Vegas version. However, your release-build is some 2 behind the final in February 2006! You might consider downloading and installing the "latest" build for VV6? - Up to you. Again, I've searched and explored the site to see a mention of mixed 1920 and 1440 PAR issues. I haven't found one. What I can confirm, using 1920 and 1440 together, in VegasPro11, latest build683, I am not getting the results you are getting. No letter-boxing at all

I have tried using event pan/crop, set-to-output-resolution, but can't make sense of what is happening. If I do use output resolution on the 1440 footage (which initially fills the screen), I get black bars at the top and bottom!
    Where is this " . . set-to-output-resolution," ? - I don't have VV6 installed on my latest machine. Sorry . . . .

Also, the 1440 footage has 1.3 pixel aspect ratio, and the 1920 footage has 1.0 pixel aspect ratio. I have tried messing with this as well but it doesn't seemt o do anything . . .
    O..K... Do you know why we use 2 different PARs?

To recap, I have a "sample" VP11 Project with 1920 and 1440 media, up on the same Timeline, and I can't repro what you are getting. I have tried changing the Project Settings to match each of the others PARs but still can't repro.

OK, here's what I would do:

A] Get and install the latest version-build for Vegas Video 6. But that's up to you!

B] Decide what my majority of my Media is likely to be: If that is 1920, then set my Project settings to 1920. Just doing this will make editing easier.

C] Decide what your final output will be: DVD or Bluray.

. . .

Thanks guys. I have not done any editing for a while, so I used the automatic update function last onth and version b is what it came up with . . . I will try and get version d today. However, I think I have invented a problem where none existed! I thought because the pixel count was different, the aspect ratio of the two sources must be different, and I was confused when it wasn't. Now I understand what the pixel aspect ratio means . . .

1920 / 1080 = 1.777:1 aspect ratio.

(1440 * 1.3) / 1080 = 1.733:1 aspect ratio

So there is almost no difference in aspect ratio between the two sources, and I think I can just mix them together without any noticeable problems.