Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Template Master Demo

Default Template Master Demo

A few years ago I was going to try to create a video that captured the feel of being in the Scottish hills and mountains, but I was going to try to make it look like it was shot in the 70s on 8mm film. I taken a Panasonic NVGS230 on a recky that I was on anyway, slapped it on full auto, turned off image stabilization and grabbed some quick shots on route.

I intentionally never shot anything that could date the film such as people/clothes or roads/cars. This turned out to be a mistake as it kind of rendered the footage useless for anything else.

But I dug it back out and used it to create a demo of some of the effects, transitions and titles Ive created for FCPX.

While ignoring the 8mm cine idea I tried to stick to my initial intention of getting the grungy feel of being in the hills, but the primary intention is to demo the templates.

The result isn't a great film, but as a demo I kind of like it, its a little different. Its not going to be for everyone and I should probably warn of strobing and flashing content.

David

Edit: Changed link to a cleaner transcode.
    Last edited by david walsh; 08-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.

As you said it is a bit strobe like but I liked some of the transitions and thought the grading helped to lift it.

I did consider extending it to a 2 minute version to flow more like a film, but the lack of people/interest in the footage made me decide to keep it short and strobe it up to flow with the music. That way it just shows the templates in action and I reckoned it would allow anyone to pick out something they may like and could perhaps visualise how they may use in their production. Hopefully anyway.

David.

I eventually got a clean youtube transcode, but to see it the setting needs changed to 720p. I warmed up the overall tone a bit at the same time. The content's the same, just thought I'd update.

David.

Blog Entries

I'm always a bit bemused by the idea of templates (I'm assuming that this is just a collection of "projects" into which you can insert your own footage, then keyframe to suit). I suppose for the pro it's a great timesaver. Alternatively, for the novice, it can be a way of learning more about how to use the software. But I would have thought that most people would want to produce their own "look".
    I guess I'm wrong though and there must be a massive market out ther - at least if Digital Juice is anything to go by. And I'm sure you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't know there is a market!

FWIW I didn't like the strobing/film burn look effect, but I did like the "split screen movement" transitions.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, The use of the word template doesn't give the right impression here.

I'm assuming that this is just a collection of "projects" into which you can insert your own footage, then keyframe to suit
    There are templates like you describe available for After Effects, Motion, C4d, etc. available around the net, and some of them are very good, but it's not what I do. Templates is just what Apple decided to call them, they are actually custom transitions, effect, titles etc.

Out of interest, the film burn style bit is all colour work, sometimes quite extreme, on duplicates of the main clips that have an effect applied to blend in a grungy textured graphic. That composite is then blended with the main clips with some opacity flickering. I kind of like it, and that it gets a film burn style thing happening, but still being different.

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    There are templates like you describe available for After Effects, Motion, C4d, etc. available around the net, and some of them are very good, but it's not what I do. Templates is just what Apple decided to call them, they are actually custom transitions, effect, titles etc.
    Thanks for the explanation. In Vegas, templates are ... pretty much as I described, whereas transitions and effects are called ... transitions and effects (such as those produced by NewBlue)

As for the "Film burn" I agree it did look somewhat more original than those marketed as "film burn"
    Tim

Default Sorry I missed this David!!!!!

David so sorry I missed this I have been less active that last few months on here ,
    I found this thread today

I loved the font and how you involved the music with the editing (changing frames to match beat)
    This video of Scotland is very different but I thought it was great, when I say different I mean not your run of mill video about Scotland's natural beauty but your twist worked very well in my opinion ,it gave Scotland a more exciting grand feel to the normal relaxing pipes playing kind of video.

Not qualified to judge your work David as you know.

The only thing I wasn't to fussed on was the strobe effect you used a bit like Tim mentioned , not copying Tim by the way but I do agree with him .

However overall I really liked this and it shows of what you can do editing wise ........ loved the music .... very different but it works with the footage and editing so well.

Quick transitions and focus effects added top the up beat portrayal very well ..... very stimulating to watch not relaxing which I know was your intent.

Anyway it worked......

One things for sure Scotland isn't just tranquil and breathtaking its rocking too!!!

Cheers David and sorry again for my late comment on your video

No problem Bob, no need to apologise, and you hit a few nails on the head with your keen observations.

This particular little mountain isn't exactly the hardest, but to an extent (the priority was always an effects demo) I tried to get across the feeling of excitement many of our youngest, or newest, being introduced to the mountains feel. Ben'an, while being one of our most beautiful, is also one of the most common introduction to hill walking spots.

I have a personal hatred for the way Scotland is portrayed in tourism and try to avoid the obvious cliche's like the plague. The truth is that it/we are nothing like the way it/we are seen. But it's starting to change, I was shocked to find the results of some research that was done in recent years. Still in the 21st century it was found that across the world, due to the way our own tourism industry advertises us, many places believe we live simple lives, wear kilts, play pipes, live in crofts, and eats nothing but oats and haggis etc.

I done a lot of business related market research a few years ago into Scottish tourism and it showed that young people across the world have no/little interest in coming here. But as I said, it's starting to change, and our government is doing good work to make these changes. The "Homecoming Scotland" campaign recently got things off to a great start and it's to be re-run in a couple of years.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    No problem Bob, no need to apologise, and you hit a few nails on the head with your keen observations.

This particular little mountain isn't exactly the hardest, but to an extent (the priority was always an effects demo) I tried to get across the feeling of excitement many of our youngest, or newest, being introduced to the mountains feel. Ben'an, while being one of our most beautiful, is also one of the most common introduction to hill walking spots.

I have a personal hatred for the way Scotland is portrayed in tourism and try to avoid the obvious cliche's like the plague. The truth is that it/we are nothing like the way it/we are seen. But it's starting to change, I was shocked to find the results of some research that was done in recent years. Still in the 21st century it was found that across the world, due to the way our own tourism industry advertises us, many places believe we live simple lives, wear kilts, play pipes, live in crofts, and eats nothing but oats and haggis etc.

I done a lot of business related market research a few years ago into Scottish tourism and it showed that young people across the world have no/little interest in coming here. But as I said, it's starting to change, and our government is doing good work to make these changes. The "Homecoming Scotland" campaign recently got things off to a great start and it's to be re-run in a couple of years.

David.
    Yes I agree.
    However I do still like the old view too but like you said the difference is I know it is Scottish history not modern Scotland today.
    Must be very frustrating for Scottish people especially the younger generation like you mentioned above.

Scotland has it all - Amazing history and incredible natural beauty (understatement)

But it is also a modern country with modern people.

The world needs to discover Scotland I agree it is a gold mine.

However part of me also likes how it is untapped.

Once everyone starts flocking it could ruin it in some way..... but benefit it too I agree .

Tough one David- two edged sword

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast