Thread: Best Way to Post-Process a Timelapse? (Premiere Pro CS6 n00b!)

Default Best Way to Post-Process a Timelapse? (Premiere Pro CS6 n00b!)

Hello everyone!
    I was hoping I could get some advice on this. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, which I am a total n00b at. I have a time-lapse from Upper Palisades, shot at 720p w/ stereo sound with a tripod, nothing incredibly fancy. Below I have a screenshot of the video itself from VLC, and as you can see it's a pretty dull, overexposed video. I want to know how I can get the video to really pop, like the color of the water, rocks, and trees.. I don't care if I have to downgrade the video to 480 or even 360p, as long as the video is no longer overexposed and incredibly boring. I am quite advanced at Photoshop CS6 and photography, if that helps. Thanks much!
    Untitled.jpg

If you had the image in photoshop, would you be able to satisfactorily adjust it?
    If not, then I am unsure whether anything in Premiere can help.
    If you can do it in PS; then perhaps the same (or very similar) kind of adjustment can be done in Premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    If you had the image in photoshop, would you be able to satisfactorily adjust it?
    If not, then I am unsure whether anything in Premiere can help.
    If you can do it in PS; then perhaps the same (or very similar) kind of adjustment can be done in Premiere.
    It's not an image, its a 720p video. I would apply the same adjustments, but I use third party software in Photoshop (HDR Efex Pro 2,) and also have not the slightest idea how to use Premiere Pro CS6.

I was never the biggest fan of colour work in Premiere, I always found it to be the CS suite's weak point. Now with SC6 there is "Adobe SpeedGrade", I haven't used CS6 but it might be worth a look into.

Introduction to SpeedGrade | No Stupid Questions with Colin Smith | Adobe TV

Over exposed shots can be tricky to work with, adjusting the highlights can bring back some detail, but usually at best in very limited amounts. Sometimes raising the saturation is enough to bring some colour back into the sky, but to be honest your screen shot looks like it might be to blown out. Secondary corrections/sky replacements are worth looking into, but an over exposed sky tends to lose a lot detail where it meets land, in your case in the tree line, but it could also be worth looking into.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by xxevilxp3nrxx View Post
    It's not an image, its a 720p video. I would apply the same adjustments, but I use third party software in Photoshop (HDR Efex Pro 2,) and also have not the slightest idea how to use Premiere Pro CS6.
    I apologise. My earlier suggestion was unclear.
    Just in case it's of help - My logic was that if you were able to use your existing Photoshop skills to correct a single image; then it would be straightforward to convert the existing video to a sequence of images; then use PS (in some form of automated/scriped/batch method, of course) to create a new sequence of images. Finally, import the new set of images into Premiere.
    Of course, such a process uses alot of disk space and time. I have done such things, leaving it to run on my POC overnight.

But, since my first reply, I consider David Walsh's suggestion is alot more sensible.

Just took a look at your image and yes, it's a lttle flat. May help to use a filter overlay top and bottom. Maybe blue on top and green below or play with variations. Adjust the intensity and blur on the edges till it pops but doesn't look, err fake
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club