Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnified Keyframe Timeline in Pan/Crop Keeps Reverting To Non-Zoomed

1. Default Magnified Keyframe Timeline in Pan/Crop Keeps Reverting To Non-Zoomed

Sorry if that's confusing. Vegas Pro v10:

When trying to add/edit keyframes for Event Pan/Crop, one often finds oneself needing to work with a good number of the little buggers very closely spaced, i.e. in music videos where video events will be synced to beats, etc. So I zoom the timeline in the Pan/Crop window so that they are not all stacked on each other, as in the default zoom level. Fine, tweak here and there, go back to the main timeline, hit spacebar, click Play, whatever, to audition the changes. The zoom level in the Pan/Crop window timeline immediately jumps back to whatever it was by default. Serious speed killer for lots of working back & forth. Note that you can navigate, scroll around, etc., all you want in the main timeline, and the Pan/Crop zoom remains as you left it. It's the actual playing of the main timeline that hoses it. The only other version of Vegas I have is 4, and this problem is not present in v4.
    Is there a way to play/preview video/audio directly from the Pan/Crop window that I've missed? I'm no expert at this, and I'm wide open to alternatives/suggestions. Thanks for any feedback.

Blog Entries

Hi FC and welcome to the forum.

I see the same behaviour in Vegas Pro 11. Though in six years of using Vegas I've never noticed it being a problem. Probably because:

Quote Originally Posted by ForestCat View Post
    Is there a way to play/preview video/audio directly from the Pan/Crop window that I've missed? I'm no expert at this, and I'm wide open to alternatives/suggestions.
    If you keep the Pan/Crop window open and your preview visible, just use the transport controls under the preview or the timeline.
    Tim

A poster on another forum is pondering that the cause of this annoyance would be the pan/crop/masking window losing focus.
    See the 3rd post here
    pan-crop timeline zoom level : Sony Vegas
    There's also a mention about the case of new keyframes being created, which has lately been under some discussion elsewhere as another annoyance.

4. Default

Hi Tim, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If you keep the Pan/Crop window open and your preview visible, just use the transport controls under the preview or the timeline.
    Are you saying that on your system, when you have your Pan/Crop window open and you magnify that timeline to some arbitrary value, and you then use preview or main timeline transport controls, the the Pan/Crop timeline remains zoomed as you left it? If so, my system isn't working correctly. If, on the other hand, you lose your zoom like I am, how do you work with a group of Pan/Crop keyframes that are spaced too closely to be individually selectable at the default zoom level when there is a need to play the timeline while making adjustments back & forth? This to me seems to be such a fundamental task in any NLE that has keyframing ability. I can't begin to believe that this is by "design". Is there some other way in Vegas to do timing-critical pan/zoom/crop, PIP, etc, that does not rely on the creation and manipulation of a lot of keyframes? Like I said, I'm not an expert, and maybe I've missed some entirely different, better approach to what I'm trying to do.

vkmast, yeah, I had found that, and a couple other irate posts in various forums. I googled extensively before I asked here, because I found no workarounds, but I still hold out hope, otherwise I need another NLE. Damn shame, since I like so many things about Vegas, particularly its responsivess & fast realtime preview...

Thanks again for the help.

Cat,
    does checking "Make spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" (in Options > Preferences > General) make any difference in your Pan/Crop window timeline zoom behaviour to help your workflow?

and you then use preview or main timeline transport controls, the the Pan/Crop timeline remains zoomed as you left it?
    This is true only if you don't close the pan/crop window when previewing. As soon as you close the pan/crop window it will revert back to the default zoom level.

7. Default

Excellent thought, and I had high hopes, but no joy. As you probably read in one of the other threads, this seems to be related to the Pan/Crop window losing focus. There appears to be no way to play video when the Pan/Crop window has mouse/keyboard focus, but as soon as you change focus to any part of the ui that has the capability to play video, whether you click play, pause, resume, spacebar, the Pan/Crop timeline zoom level gets reset. I just have to believe that there's another way to do extensive keyframe editing without having to re-zoom/locate the editor every time you make a change & run tape. Wouldn't everyone be freaking out? What am I missing here?...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is true only if you don't close the pan/crop window when previewing. As soon as you close the pan/crop window it will revert back to the default zoom level.
    I leave the pan/crop window open all the time during this kind of editing. I have two monitors. This happens with the window "floating" or docked, same behavior. Are you saying that your system allows you play/pause/stop the main timeline without resetting the timeline magnification/location in the pan/crop editor? If you're sure it does, I have some issue w/ my vegas install/config. Very easy to replicate this. Load any small video in a track. Open the Pan/Zoom edit window, click the plus sign in it's timeline gadgets five of six times to get some "zoom". Add five or six keyframes, about a 1/4 inch apart. No need to edit them. Go back to the main window, and do something to play the video. Are your keyframes still a 1/4" apart? Mine aren't...

My software doesn't respond like yours does. I don't have these issues. The only problem I have is when I create a key frame it sometimes doesn't show up until I've closed the pan/crop window and opened it again. I don't have anything like the problems you are having I use Version Pro 10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForestCat View Post
    I leave the pan/crop window open all the time during this kind of editing. I have two monitors. This happens with the window "floating" or docked, same behavior. Are you saying that your system allows you play/pause/stop the main timeline without resetting the timeline magnification/location in the pan/crop editor? If you're sure it does, I have some issue w/ my vegas install/config. Very easy to replicate this. Load any small video in a track. Open the Pan/Zoom edit window, click the plus sign in it's timeline gadgets five of six times to get some "zoom". Add five or six keyframes, about a 1/4 inch apart. No need to edit them. Go back to the main window, and do something to play the video. Are your keyframes still a 1/4" apart? Mine aren't...
    No, I'm not seeing the same behaviour as you. The keyframes remain the same space apart.
    I appreciate that this doesn't help you much. Sorry.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast