Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Cycling

Blog Entries

Default Olympic Cycling

Something for this year's club newsreel.
    Tim

Nice one Tim. I was a little disappointed not to see your motor cycle shots following the leaders.

Another great local report. Look forward to the time trials on Wednesday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was a little disappointed not to see your motor cycle shots following the leaders.
    Unfortunately my Puch Maxi struggled with Box Hill

Another great local report.
    Thanks. I think that even though the event is considerably bigger, this comes across as less interesting than the Olympic Torch one. I think the reasons are twofold: you can't actually see much of the action and, related to this, there is no "personality" of the participants. At leaat in the torch one, even without an interview, there are plenty of shots of the old boy which gives it some sort of focus.

I think the local press understood this as their video coverage concentrated on interviewing bystanders. This also failed to a small extent as the interviews with observers is not quite the same as interviews with participants.
    Tim

You are probably right in your observations (you usually are) BUT I think you wrote and delivered a really good script which help keep the interest.

One question I have is, are those who rely on the peloton to drag then along the course real cyclists ?

I'll get my coat.

Blog Entries

You are probably right in your observations (you usually are) BUT I think you wrote and delivered a really good script which help keep the interest.
    Thanks. As I'm not a journalist - and my only real experience if writing nowadays is on forums(!) -it takes me a bit of time and effort, but I think it's worth it when the pictures alone aren't enough to tell a story. Those few words took me about an hour and a half! I'd had a glass or two of wine whilst writing which is why when i came to record, it does sound rather like I'm talking about the Olympic road rage. (And I hadbn't noticed until after uploading)

One question I have is, are those who rely on the peloton to drag then along the course real cyclists ?
    Well, I certainly think drivers of the support vehicles which carry other cyclists' bikes from one end of the route to the other are
    Tim

I like your use/balance of crowd shots, but perhaps the signs were a just a tad too much on the second sequence. I don’t think the first 4 shots of your flowery bike sequence worked so well and I know this is a tricky one to deal with but almost all your road/race shots were the same angle. To an extent this can be a good thing for viewer orientation but it forced that transition from shot to shot, which I thought worked really well on the purple sign sequence towards the end.

In general I always enjoy your news style video’s with your touch of humor, i.e the Zeus type stuff that adds that little bit more.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your input David. It doesn't work quite as well as I'd have liked and your comments help point me towards possible problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I know this is a tricky one to deal with but almost all your road/race shots were the same angle.
    As you say, tricky. No real warning of when the subject is coming. No chance to move between shots. Position has to be established an hour before the subject arrives. The only solution is really to have several of you standing around for hours!
    [/QUOTE]
    Tim

:

you're getting good at these Tim

i coudnt really find much to grumble about so im going to pull you on your pronunciation (what with me speaking the Queens English) for a moment i thought you were going to turn into a crafty cockonee 28th July, 30 plus, and was that road race or road rage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    was that road race or road rage
    See post #5.

Thanks for the comments. Yep, I am slipping a bit into 'ersham (remember Sham 69 anyone?) and funnily enough Hersham is where I filmed the Time Trial on Wednesday. I am finding these sort of "newsy" bullitins and interesting challenge. More a training exercise than anything really worthwhile as they are only interesting for the few days immediately after the event. I'm hopeing this will help me brush up a bit on my speed of putting something together.It really makes me appreciate the work that goes into making news bulletins.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast