Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quite excited

Default Quite excited

My mate Daz (camper van man) has asked me to produce a video with his band. I suspect it's because I have the equipment rather than my ability to do such a thing ..... Still, I'm quite excited as I've always fancied having a go at a music video. We were talking about story boarding as well lol!

Any pointers ?

Blog Entries

Give us some clues. What sort of music/image. I'm guessing, just from the one vid we've seen of him, it's what Robert Elms (Sorry, he's BBC London) refers to as "necktie rock" - Ronnie Lane, McGuinness Flint, Hudson Ford, early Dexy's. In which case get them out there in their neckties, caps and waistcoats on a barge along a canal.... It's all rather cliché I'm afraid but if it was my firt music video, I guess I'd go with the obvious in terms of ideas rather than trying to be innovative as well.

Perhaps the camper van coul feature - maybe use that instead of a narrowboat. Make a "road" movie. Quite simple, shot of van with musos & instruments piling in. Shot of town sign, pile out and play for a bit, back into van , next locality .... people like to see their own towns on TV. Simple narrative - less to worry about. Maybe?

Of course, they may be a death metal band ....
    Tim

Early Dexy's, were they a pub rock band ?

So Mr C that's really good news. Like Tim said we need to know the image/music.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Give us some clues. What sort of music/image. I..
    Blues type skiffle!?!?

Daz plays boxes and bells so probably not a real musician

Blog Entries

It's what Robert Elms (Sorry, he's BBC London) refers to as "necktie rock"
    Sorry, I meant "neckerchief rock"

Sounds like they might be (ish)
    But he plays boxes and bells - there's a great starting point visually! Get the guitars & other, dare I say "proper" musical instruments (sparks new debate!!!) in there but feature the more unusual. I'm guessing hey sit around one end of a pub playing. They're prbably fairly static (not a lot of room for leaping about a la Townsend) so use camera movement to try to capture the excitement. And maybe do the same again in on around cammpervan and or narrowboat.

Or, something entirely different!
    Tim

Go to the top of a mountain have Daz looking for something when he gets to the top he find a note saying "it's all a dream". Wobbly bit as transition to the rest of the ban round a swimming pool sipping umbrella cocktails as the music starts. Daz joins in but looks out of place as he is dressed to climb a mountain and the rest are in Hawaiian shirts and shorts. Oh sorry I had mushrooms for tea.

I would have to hear the song before I could come up with a suitable idea.

Sorr
    I'm guessing they sit around one end of a pub playing. They're prbably fairly static.
    use camera movement to try to capture the excitement.
    !
    yes and yes.
    i now have access to a couple of camera dollies (through the club) so its a possibility and something i'd thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Go to the top of a mountain have Daz looking for something when he gets to the top he find a note saying "it's all a dream". Wobbly bit as transition to the rest of the ban round a swimming pool sipping umbrella cocktails as the music starts. Daz joins in but looks out of place as he is dressed to climb a mountain and the rest are in Hawaiian shirts and shorts. Oh sorry I had mushrooms for tea.

I would have to hear the song before I could come up with a suitable idea.
    nice one ! like the mountain idea.

they are recording at the moment so as soon as i have something ill link it so you can have a listen.

Watch/study a lot of music videos in various styles in preparation. In your "Me and My..." video's you work well with interview/cutaways, have you thought of doing the type of music video often seen where a live performance cuts back and forward to/from a storyline/narrative section?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    Watch/study a lot of music videos in various styles in preparation. In your "Me and My..." video's you work well with interview/cutaways, have you thought of doing the type of music video often seen where a live performance cuts back and forward to/from a storyline/narrative section?

David.
    yes David we have talked about that. Ive said i dont want to do a live video (as in at a gig) as it'll be a struggle with lighting. no doubt there will be an element of them playing their instruments but my preferred choice woudl be some kind of narrative story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast