Thread: Newbie seeking advice

Default Newbie seeking advice

Hi all!

New to the forum and fairly new to video editing Hoping to save myself some frustrating lessons so seeking out a few video editing Gurus

In terms of skill I can pick up software quite quickly but am a video editing virgin (exc. basic Movie Maker productions).

I basically have a video I would like to edit for a friends birthday. Its a video of a foot race I would like to add some details such as:

- Individuals 'powering up' (like special lightening / flames surround people etc.)
    - Feet bursting into flames and running round the track etc.
    - May some funny GIFs added in to take out a few of the runners

Any input on software / guides / tips would be really, really appreciated.

I have had a look on Adobe After Effects and found it quite daunting but this was first looks so I have no run for the hills just yet!

Cheers for any advice,

nucoeus

The software that is made for these types of effects that you want to add to you video is indeed After Effects. A great place to go for tutorials and everything AE related is VIDEO COPILOT

Adobe TV guides for after effects are very helpful, Give em a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The software that is made for these types of effects that you want to add to you video is indeed After Effects. A great place to go for tutorials and everything AE related is VIDEO COPILOT
    Thanks Midnight Blue for the fast reply and the website! Currently on the introduction section

Am I way out of my league attempting something like this? How long do you reckon it would take a newbie to produce something half decent (clip is only < 5 mins long!)

Cheers,

nucoeus

I'd spend a minimum of an hour doing this with my knowledge of after effects, someone far more skilled than I would do it in less time perhaps.

Your looking at 6-12 hours if not 2-3 days to learn and implement it for your video.

I'd say 2-3 years to really get the skill needed to make it look real. If you pick it up quickly you may get something passable in a week.