Thread: How Can I Improve My Film Making (Need all opinions!)

Talking How Can I Improve My Film Making (Need all opinions!)

Hey guys, in this post is a very short video I made about 10 (I think) months ago. I know there are some problems with it, like the tracks I put in were poorly placed, and the scope on the sniper could have been done much better. Other than that, can you guys please tell me how to improve my videos in the future? Anything would be appreciated.. I want to be the best that I can. Thanks guys!

Short Film (FreddieW Inspired) - Extraction - 2011 - YouTube

If you did enjoy it though.. please leave a like or a comment?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I thought this was a good effort. Some areas which could be improved:

As an extract this is OK, but for a whole film, you need to have characters that are developed - the audience should want one side or the other to "win".
    I liked the coloring, but qute a bit seemed over-exposed. You've also shot in bright sunlight which means contrast is a big problem.
    Learn to shoot without auto-exposure.
    Watch out for cameraman/equipment shadows (white teeshirt around 0:42)
    Try to establish the geography of the location so the viewer gets an understanding of who is where (this is why in traditional contnuity cinema so many scenes are set with with a wide-angle establishing shot, usually followed by a mid shot and finaly the more personal close-ups for the "guts" of the scene.

Good luck. i look forward to your next film.

Thank you for the advice! I'll keep all of those in mind. From now on we do plan on actually screenwriting our films (we have a couple written), and using better props/outfits. I wish I would have spend more time on this.. but it is something we threw together last minute. I will also look for a better location next time besides my back yard

Thank you, once again!

Austin, TX

Around :19 I think you broke the 180 degree rule: 180 degree rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aberdeen, Scotland

This is quite a good effort. As already mentioned, I noticed a shadow of the cameraman at 0.40. The editing and camerawork were both fairly good, so well done on that. I'm not expert on muzzle flashes or shootouts in general, but I would always try and avoid it in my films. I occasionally have a shooting but I try and film it very carefully. Here we see a lot of shootings and the no-budget look of this film shows blatantly when you introduce gunfire. The general muzzle flashes and after effects are fairly decent but the reactions are mediocre and it doesn't feel professional enough. Also, while sun glare can be used for good effect, there was too much of it here and I think it should be avoided. One last thing, the end credits should include both first name and surname.

Having said all that though, this is a good effort and is better than a lot of short action movies you see on YouTube.

Agree with all said above. i'd also add that you want to keep in mind not only what you are looking at but where you are looking at it from. Every situation is different, but in this video's case: If we're looking at feet, but we're not supposed to be looking through a characters POV I would say shoot low, at foot level. Running in a tense situation like this, you'll increase the intensity at that level, with more in the background other than grass, and the layers of ground rushing towards the camera (just like how the view in car racing games without the car and low to the road are the most intense). This idea can be applied to every shot you ever take, what's my motivation for showing the audience this. Do I want to empower the character? (shoot upwards from a low angle) or take it away? Do I want to imply the visual subject is being watched by creating a POV-style shot or make it an inorganic one?

War/Action films are a good way to practise your visual story-telling in a sense, because in most regards you have to show it rather than say it and often at a quick pace. There are well-established story-telling formulas and shot sequences you can pick up by watching some classics.