Thread: Best software for simple Tivo recording editing?

Default Best software for simple Tivo recording editing?

Hi, I am looking for some software to do very basic editing and conversation of Tivo recordings. The catch is I would like to watermark it, which I think means the video needs to be reprocessed in someway. So, I just need to be able to cut the video, and convert while still maintaining the HD recording quality, and add a watermark. Any ideas?

So you're recording TV and you want to water mark the recording, is that right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    So you're recording TV and you want to water mark the recording, is that right ?
    That is right. I guess the difference between a watermark and putting text on the screen is pretty small. So I guess I just want to know what the best software is to use that can cut the video and add text, but convert to maintain high quality with minimal file size. I have Sony Vegas 10 but it seems to give me very large file sizes and yet reduces the quality of my HD Tivo recordings.

I have used VideoReDo to cut my Tivo recordings and it works nicely. I can set a KB limit and reduce the quality just enough to fit the file size that I want. But it has no capabilities for adding text to the screen.

I was going to suggest VideoRedo but that won't put on the water mark. As you have Vegas you can do what you need with that. If you select Windows Media Video V11 as the save type. You can select the video quality from the templates available. This should give you reasonable file sizes.

To put text or a water mark on the video follow this simple technique.
    1. Place the video on the track.
    2. Place the text or image (with transparent background) on a track above it.
    3. Stretch the text event or image to the full length of the video.
    4. Set the opacity of the text track as required.
    5. Render as a .wmv

Blog Entries

Bypassed the point I was sure you were making, Midnight when you said:

"So you're recording TV and you want to water mark the recording, is that right ?"

Surely the point is you are taking someone else's work without permission, rearranging it in some way and then putting your stamp all over it to prevent someone else doing it.

If that is the case it seems like a serious case of double standards.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Bypassed the point I was sure you were making, Midnight when you said:
    "So you're recording TV and you want to water mark the recording, is that right ?"

Surely the point is you are taking someone else's work without permission, rearranging it in some way and then putting your stamp all over it to prevent someone else doing it.

If that is the case it seems like a serious case of double standards.
    Thanks for the ethics lesson, but I just want to edit and compile some clips for personal use. Your answer is not helpful. And it's not really any if you business what I am doing because I am not violating copyright or trying to benefit in anyway from someone else's content.

Now, back to my original question, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was going to suggest VideoRedo but that won't put on the water mark. As you have Vegas you can do what you need with that. If you select Windows Media Video V11 as the save type. You can select the video quality from the templates available. This should give you reasonable file sizes.

To put text or a water mark on the video follow this simple technique.
    1. Place the video on the track.
    2. Place the text or image (with transparent background) on a track above it.
    3. Stretch the text event or image to the full length of the video.
    4. Set the opacity of the text track as required.
    5. Render as a .wmv
    Sony Vegas does not recognize .tivo files.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baystatebuffalo View Post
    And it's not really any if you business what I am doing
    You made it public business - you published it on a publc forum.

Quote Originally Posted by baystatebuffalo View Post
    because I am not violating copyright
    Actually you are (at least in UK law and this is a UK forum and you have not given us any indication that you are not from the UK), though I personally have no ethical or moral objection if it's for personal use. But you said you wanted to add a watermark. A watermark is usually added because you want to prevent others copying your work.

Look,the point is not whether you choose to do this or not. As you rightly say it's not really any of my buusines (so long as it's not my footage you're using). The point of my raising it is really to prevent others getting the impression from reading your post that it is perfectly legal and acceptable to copy professional work, edit it a bit and then sell it. True you never said you were doing that, but you never said you weren't either and the idea of watermarking normally assumes it's because you want to protect it (usually for sale)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-31-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    Tim