Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Me and My.... Decks

Default Me and My.... Decks

This is the first enc/mbp co-production. Let us know what you think.

My thoughts are this could have been more interesting edited down to about 3 minutes as there was only the DJ and the kit to film. The shots showing the DJ talking for me were to long, it was better in the second half with the cut a ways. Have the background music fading up then down between the talking part. D J ing is a fast paced subject so the video should to me reflect this. Sorry but its a NO From me.

Ha Ha that's exactly what enc said to me. I guess he was right.

Blog Entries

I thought it was a great edit of some fine shots and a well captured interview. I didn't mind the lenghth because this is a world I don't understand but was willing to learn about. I suspect Midntight, as a fellow muso, didn't really understand it either, but the edit suggests that he learned to understand it through putting this together. This vid did a great job of explaining to an old fart like me what DJing is all about.

But, whilst the video explained it, it leaves me at a loss.

1. People who put on records are called musicians? What's that all about? I'm not disputing there might be a certain skill to "mixing" but musicians? Pah!
    2. They compete! They have British and World Championships. What utter bollocks! You can have world championships in things like the fastest, highest, strongest etc. Either they are musicians and it's an art form (in which case you can't have world championships) or they are performing some sort of athletic or mental agility/speed/strength test, in which case you can have a measurable winner. They can't have it both ways.

Nome of this is to detract from the film which i think puts the whole appeal and ethos of "mixing" very clearly. And, I'm afraid, does nothing to persuade me taht it's amythin more than someone putting on records is a sympathetic way.

But that's good. As a documentary it has provoked both thought and emotion in me. Perfect.

In fact it's particularly good. Whilst the film may well have reinforced my opinion that it''s just putting on records, I don't hold Lee in any distain at all. He comes across as a totally likable bloke who is clearly into what he does. Evebn though i don't see any point what soeverin what he does, I can't help but admire him.

I hope this is the first fo many enc/MVP collaborations.
    Tim

Really good editing over nice interview shots. A bit long indeed, but I understand that editing over other's material is a bit more complex....what to include? what to exclude? Some shots of the contests he mentioned would give more life to it too, but I don´t think you got them, right?

Watched with more interest on the editing than on the subject.... Maybe we must reveal our ages on this thread???

I have to agree with Tim about a lot of the modern DJs who seem to get acclaim just for picking a good record to play. Lee at least puts a lot of creative effort and skill in what he does. One thing that impressed me about Lee was the audio visual display he created. I believe it's unique or at least his idea. As well as mixing the audio he creates all the animation himself. Looking at his skill from an editing point of view, I see what he has developed as something to be admired. Plus I love the juxtaposition of the boys in the hood and a nice lade from Burnley. It's great to see his drive and dedication has made him impact in, what I perceive as, an African American stronghold.

I'm glad you liked the editing and the filming.
    I hope this is the first of many enc/MBP collaborations.
    Watch this space, if enc ever gets his finger out.

Maybe we must reveal our ages on this thread???
    I'm 52 in September.
    I understand the interview section is a bit long BUT I did cut it down to 5 mins from a solid 20 mins. I liked what he was saying and how he was saying it so I beat down enc in letting me have double the length he wanted me to have.

We only had the footage that was shot in his house and don't hold any rights to include what competition footage there might be. It would have been good to use some of that.

Thanks for watching guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I thought it was a great edit of some fine shots and a well captured interview. I didn't mind the lenghth because this is a world I don't understand but was willing to learn about. I suspect Midntight, as a fellow muso, didn't really understand it either, but the edit suggests that he learned to understand it through putting this together. This vid did a great job of explaining to an old fart like me what DJing is all about.

But, whilst the video explained it, it leaves me at a loss.

1. People who put on records are called musicians? What's that all about? I'm not disputing there might be a certain skill to "mixing" but musicians? Pah!
    2. They compete! They have British and World Championships. What utter bollocks! You can have world championships in things like the fastest, highest, strongest etc. Either they are musicians and it's an art form (in which case you can't have world championships) or they are performing some sort of athletic or mental agility/speed/strength test, in which case you can have a measurable winner. They can't have it both ways.

Nome of this is to detract from the film which i think puts the whole appeal and ethos of "mixing" very clearly. And, I'm afraid, does nothing to persuade me taht it's amythin more than someone putting on records is a sympathetic way.

But that's good. As a documentary it has provoked both thought and emotion in me. Perfect.

In fact it's particularly good. Whilst the film may well have reinforced my opinion that it''s just putting on records, I don't hold Lee in any distain at all. He comes across as a totally likable bloke who is clearly into what he does. Evebn though i don't see any point what soeverin what he does, I can't help but admire him.

I hope this is the first fo many enc/MVP collaborations.

Thanks Tim

DJ's as musicians? its an argument thats been around since DJ's started to "combine" two copy's of a record (1970's) im not going to get into it here. one thing i will say if you see Woody play out live he gets the crowd moving better than any strutting, guitar hero He gets paid (well) to travel the world doing what he enjoys .....in his own words living the dream
    Glad you enjoyed the documentary Tim, TBH, its probably not something you would have watched had it not been posted here, and TBH, its subject matter possibly wont be of interest to 90 percent of DD users but im interested in opinions on the filming, editing and audio technique.

Tim, you are 100 percent correct about lee, as i explained to MB, he is far, far removed from your typical HIP Hop culture type.... hes a genuine, down to earth, tea drinking northern chap... he even weares a flat cap on occasion (seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    My thoughts are this could have been more interesting edited down to about 3 minutes as there was only the DJ and the kit to film. The shots showing the DJ talking for me were to long, it was better in the second half with the cut a ways. Have the background music fading up then down between the talking part. D J ing is a fast paced subject so the video should to me reflect this. Sorry but its a NO From me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    display Watch this space, if enc ever gets his finger out.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast