Thread: Track Volume Slider x Track Gain Bar

1. Default Track Volume Slider x Track Gain Bar

Hi,

I have realized that the volume could be decreased by using both "track volume slider" or dragging 'n dropping the "track gain bar" (that horizontal line similar to video bar opacity).

On the other hand, the "track gain bar" decreases the wave size while the "track volume slider" doesn't change the wave (in this way an audio envelop would be handy than the "track gain bar"). Other point is that the "track gain bar" just make possible to decrease the volume, being necessary to use "track volume slider" if the issue is increase it.

=> Actually, I am not sure about the usage of each of these tools. Do both really produce same output? Is there any situation in which each one has a specific usage?

Thanks in advance,
    Cadu

Blog Entries

You're not quite right cadu.

There is no "track gain bar". The gain can be reduced for each event. So, if you have 2 audio events on one track, the "gain bar" as you put it will only affect the volume of the event to which it is attached, whereas the track slider changes the volume of all events on the track. You use the "gain bar" for setting the levels for one event on an audio track relative to others on the same audio track. The "volume slider" sets the level for the track overall.

The reason the "gain bar" affects the waveform is so you can see its volume in relation to other events on the same track.

And you've missed a couple.

You can apply a Volume FX to an event, a track, or the output and adjust volume there (and if you have pro, you can also group tracks together in an audio buss and use a volume slider and/or a volume fx there.

And you can also introduce an volume envelope onto a tracjk where you can "draw" the shape of the volume increases and decreases. in fact i sugest you start playing with audio envelopes right now. It is one of the most useful tools when mixing an audio soundtrack.

And, of course, there's the master volume level.

Vegas is nothing if ot flexible!
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for explanation Tim!
    Many things to learn about audio yet...
    Just to clarify, by using the "gain bar" only is possible to decrease the volume, isn't it? If I want to increase the volume of an audio event the way would be to use the "volume" FX or the volume envelope...
    Bye,
    Cadu
    Last edited by cadu; 07-26-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadu View Post
    Just to clarify, by using the "gain bar" only is possible to decrease the volume, isn't it? If I want to increase the volume of an audio event the way would be to use the "volume" FX or the volume envelope...
    Correct on all counts. So that's one or two things less to learn!
    Tim

Use V to get the Volume Rubber band, (you can use this to increase the volume as well)
    P for the pan envelope

Highlight the audio track required (use the Track header on left) and the hight light a section of audio to correct (with Volume envelope on) and push the bar up or down to adjust that section.