Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re closed thread on music copyright

1. Default Re closed thread on music copyright

The closed thread on this subject was very worthwhile reading, so following advice I ended up on the PRS site and made an enquiry via an online enquiry form about how this licensing works. I got a standard answer that I needed two licences but no answer to a specific question. The contact has also not responded to requests to give me a contact who would answer specific questions.
    I want to do the right thing and on the face of it these people are there to facilitate me doing the right thing and collect royalties on behalf of artists but it seems they are shy about answering specific questions and telling me how this actually works.
    One question in particular has been ignored.
    If I buy the license to use music for event videography how do I know the artists I intend using have subscribed to their royalties collection scheme ?
    It makes sense to know this. What's the point of buying a blanket license to use a Bruce Springsteen track, among others, if BS hasn't subscribed to their scheme ?
    I do have a few other simple questions but there is no 'contact' on this site to ask, just a default online web form and the responder at the other end of this query ignores specific questions and ignores requests to give me a contact who will answer questions ??

If you follow the link to THIS PAGE it has various phone numbers you can try. I agree with you as to why would you by a licence from them without knowing if the artist is on their books. I believe you can do an on-line search of their data bases but you have to be a member to do this !

You may have more luck over the phone.

3. Default

Thanks for that, don't know how you found that page, I trawled from their home page down several links but couldn't find that list.

They don't make it easy.

They have enough well-heeled subscribers and want to keep things like a members club - only guessing, but that's what it seems from the outsider.
    There is plenty of Royalty-free music about, it's just you have to work harder at it. Anyway their reluctance to grant useful licenses means we can use aspiring musicians as long as you stick to long-gone composers . . . and that list is getting longer. Yippee!

Isn't the Internet wonderful?

6. Default

OK I got another response this afternoon, maybe someone is reading this thread. In answer to my simple question, 'If I buy the license to use music for event videography how do I know the artists I intend using have subscribed to their royalties collection scheme ?
    It makes sense to know this. What's the point of buying a blanket license to use a Bruce Springsteen track, among others, if BS hasn't subscribed to their scheme ?

I got this answer.

"It is a legal requirement to have the correct licence in place. The Limited Manufacture is the most suitable for your product.
    This licence is a blanket licence that covers all genres of music."

AHH, the plot thickens, not really answering the question is it. A genre is just that, a genre, nothing to do with covering me to use any artists music.

Blog Entries

Without knowing the specifics, I'm not qualified to comment and you should take appropriate legal advice. My understanding is that by purchasing a relevant licence, you are discharging your responsibility. It is the responsibility of the licence provider to ensure that the appropriate funds are dustrubuted. You have covered yourself by following the legal requirement.

8. Default

Well the whole point of this company and this royalty scheme was that we didn't have to go looking for legal advice, they are supposed to have that covered ?

Blog Entries

It's an occupational hazard that I caveat anything that may be perceived as interpretation of law. Or, to put it another way, don't just take my word for it. However, the licence provider have clearly stated that you should purchase the suggested licence. I would retain evidence of that. Personally, I would accept that as a reasonable response.

10. Default

I agree, on one hand it could be perceived as a reasonable response on the other hand it looks like an obfuscation, not the clear unambiguous definition of a licensing contract, which is what we could reasonably expect from a company who say they legally represent the interests of their members. But then this is the same company that threatened a woman with prosecution and substantial fines for not purchasing a performers license from them because she sang to herself while she worked ! True story.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast