Thread: Miami Nights 60D

Default Miami Nights 60D

Miami Nights Canon 60D - YouTube

I took a 2 hour walk around Miami and this is what came out. Another attempt to create a mood or atmosphere from completely random bits of footage. Heavily influenced by Michael Mann as always and in particular Miami Vice! When I got back from shooting this I decided to light my apartment window using an iPad and make it completely blue, the resulting shot can be scene half way through the short. #cringe! Took roughly 3 days to edit. 1 day putting the footage together, 1 day grading (took ages but was addictive and fun), and 1 day adding all the sound (no source audio used).

This was my first time using FCP X and I have to say I was really impressed. It took a year of rage but I think I've finally made the transition. The grading and colour features are amazing! It's not there completely but I imagine in another few versions it will be sweet.

So desperate to make a short film now. Craving narrative! Still don't own a tripod though!

Shot - Canon 60D
    Edited & Graded - FCP X/Magic Bullet Mojo
    Music - 'Tick Of The Clock' by Chromatics

I think this is very good practise for you. I think you managed to create the mood you were after. For me it's a great example of how the audio makes the mood of a film. The only advice I can give you is keep going, Oh and get a tripod.

that was a very enjoyable watch, thank you. just follow the advice that midnight just gave you. Get a tripod or maybe a stabilizer (or both, even a cheap stabilizer would be nice).

the music is spot on and really makes the vid

if I had something to criticize it may only be the fact that towards the end, there are a few shots that seemed to be repeated (or similar to ones that were before). which is a mistake that I also happen to do myself alot, due to having not enough footage and figuring it out only in front of the computer while editing.

All in all, the vid could have been a tad bit shorter (maybe 1min shorter), but the footage selection is awesome and I'd have plenty to learn from you for sure. Awesome work!

Blog Entries

I made the mistake of reading the comments before watching. Actually it wasn't a mistake. If I'd watched without reading the positive comments I'd probably have given up earlier.
    As it was I thought I'd stick it out a bit longer.
    Like most montage sequences it had a lot of great images but went on far too long. At first I found it interesting and thought it was better than the average monatge, but then it didn't really seem to go anywhere and I was finally going to give up when you switched to the interior scene and then the "action" of the phone call. Suddenly we had drama and intrigue.
    Generally this scene was done quite well. I liked the fact we couldn't make our what was being said.
    However, picking up the phone with the right hand and holding it against the left looked awkward and unnatural and I'm afraid took me out of "the momnent". Shame.
    Then there didn't seem to be any ascertainable narrative to what followed (and as hadoq has identified, some of the shots seemed to be repeats).

The soundtrack is what raises this above the norm, but to my mind it needs to be much shorter or have a real narrative.

Good job, all the same.
    Tim

I guess you achieved your goal here. i think you did very well considering you have no tripod. A nice mix of steady shots and hand held. the hand held shots gave it the CSI look i guess you were going for.
    my only criticism is its slightly too long.
    I like it a lot

BTW, better class of boy racer over there ! Ferrari's and lambo's vs the pimped out Saxos, and Corsas of the UK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    BTW, better class of boy racer over there ! Ferrari's and lambo's vs the pimped out Saxos, and Corsas of the UK
    Speak for yourself, Northerner. It's all Aston Martins down here!
    Tim

Just watched this again ... And the other stuff on your YouTube channel. You really do have an eye for a shot. Looking forward to seeing this go into a film.

Thank you for all of your comments! Hopefully my next 'city by night' project will have a narrative! Although, cruising around a new town with a DSLR is a great way to see a city.

Thanks again