Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Million and Six Concrete Dreams [HD1080]

Default One Million and Six Concrete Dreams [HD1080]

Hi there!

Ninth part of my Ambient Tales-series has uploaded.

Kindly regards

~ Jari
    Last edited by Ylamja; 07-21-2012 at 07:32 PM.

What is it's purpose ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What is it's purpose ?
    Just flow forward, as Ambient should do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ylamja View Post
    Just flow forward, as Ambient should do.
    OK, so what you've just done is said the film does exactly what it should do.
    This renders any criticism pointless as you have clearly made up your mind it achieves what it's meant to achieve.

Let me ask some different question - possibly what Midnight had in mind when he asked about its purpose:

Who is gong to watch it, under what circumstances and in what environment? This may be obvious to you but I'm afraid it's lost on me. With an understanding of this I might be able to comment.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK, so what you've just done is said the film does exactly what it should do.
    This renders any criticism pointless as you have clearly made up your mind it achieves what it's meant to achieve.

Let me ask some different question - possibly what Midnight had in mind when he asked about its purpose:

Who is gong to watch it, under what circumstances and in what environment? This may be obvious to you but I'm afraid it's lost on me. With an understanding of this I might be able to comment.
    This is a complicated issue and it just has became more clear to me.

As an Ambient music is very marginal genre, i think that making a video about it,
    is even more marginal and in that point of view, it starts to seems that i've done these
    stuff primarily to myself. You're absolutely right and i understand when you say:
    "With an understanding of this I might be able to comment", but I have to raise my hand.

This video is slightly poor example of the Ambient video for the simple reason that,
    song is not representative of ambient at its best.

There is Video called "Hallucinogen SW1P 3PA" on my site and it is Ambient as it
    should be (as far as i can say that about my own stuff). It's not intended to explain
    the purpose of it, but it might help to open it a little (at least i hope).

Kindly

~ jari

I happen to be a big fan of ambient music as well as a big video enthusiast.

I do not see a connection between the music and the video here aside of the fact that both lack ambition.

I do believe that one should never be satisfied with his own art, although I don't think I'd ever post anything and say that I find it "slightly poor"

if you want to see great ambient vids, try "chris clark" on youtube. Music is a language, so is Video, if you want to make both work at the same time, you want to have some coherence between the two. you can't just slap random images together and call it "art".
    Although some other vids of yours are much better (so are the tunes)

there's something easy that you could do to improve the vids its once they're done, convert the whole thing in 24fps (I found that it works better if filmed in 50fps to begin with), that's a thing I really like to do because it transforms the whole feel to a more "professional looking" vid.

All in all, you should hunt for better images (are you filming those yourself?), more beautiful and "artsy" footage, more like art photography, only in video.

for the record, this is one of my favorite "ambient" vid (although it's a little "rhythmic" to be called "ambient" but so is your first vid IMO)
    Last edited by hadoq; 07-22-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    I happen to be a big fan of ambient music as well as a big video enthusiast.

I do not see a connection between the music and the video here aside of the fact that both lack ambition.

I do believe that one should never be satisfied with his own art, although I don't think I'd ever post anything and say that I find it "slightly poor"

if you want to see great ambient vids, try "chris clark" on youtube. Music is a language, so is Video, if you want to make both work at the same time, you want to have some coherence between the two. you can't just slap random images together and call it "art".
    Although some other vids of yours are much better (so are the tunes)

there's something easy that you could do to improve the vids its once they're done, convert the whole thing in 24fps (I found that it works better if filmed in 50fps to begin with), that's a thing I really like to do because it transforms the whole feel to a more "professional looking" vid.

All in all, you should hunt for better images (are you filming those yourself?), more beautiful and "artsy" footage, more like art photography, only in video.

for the record, this is one of my favorite "ambient" vid (although it's a little "rhythmic" to be called "ambient" but so is your first vid IMO)

Thank you for your feedback. I'll watch and learn!!

~ Jari

no problemo

as said, some of your other vids and tunes are much better than this one, I'm sure you'll end up doing great stuff, and as far as I know, you're in one of the best places on the internet to learn, you will get incredibly good advice by some of the members here.
    I can't wait to see you get better at it and I'm sure you'll produce high quality stuff in the future. just keep at it and never give up.

hadoq could you give some Intro to this ambient music genre - in my day we had Serious music, Classics, Opera and hyms etc and Popular wich covers Jazz and Pops - and then there was "Easy listening" which was none of the above and somewhat bland.

I liked some of the footage, but the music seemed to be going somewhere, whereas the visuals wern't . . . that could be me being thick, but I failed to understand what the vid was about. The title included concrete, yet I din't see much conncetion....

Is Ambient Music a new genre, or a lazy selection that washes over any vid, I wonder? (wash my mouth).

Right ! I've been thinking about this. I liked the music and I liked some of the shots BUT didn't like the piece as a whole. I think it's because the music has a strong theme on top of the backing this gives it a more cinematic feel to the music. BUT the shots are far to random, so the music and visuals end up in conflict with each other which is why I didn't like the piece as a whole.

The music seems too structured to be ambient music as I understand it, it's the dreamy music you listen to during chill out time after an all nighter when you are coming down from the buzz.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast