Thread: need actors

Default need actors

I'm making a short film and it would be great if I could have some actors! Experience would be great but don't worry as long as your good it will be fine! If interested please contact me a.s.a.p

I can act. What's the deal? What location? How long?

Blog Entries

Go to your local amateur dramatics group. You will find loads of people who want to act.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Go to your local amateur dramatics group. You will find loads of people who want to act.
    I beg to differ. Last year I wanted a cast of four for a drama I was working on with Graham who wrote and directed "The Great Director". This time a much more serious film and not a club film. I contacted 12 local drama groups and asked them to pass on the request to their members. Most club secretaries/contacts replied that they would do so and I've no reason to doubt this. Let's say 30 members per drama group, of whom maybe 15 are actors? So that's 180 actors contacted.

We received only one reply and that was after a second mailing two months later.
    Tim

Put out a post on Casting Call - Casting Call Pro

It's free and I've found some great actors there over the years but be very open with what you expect from applicants including payment terms (some people on there will work for free but you should always offer travel expenses. I often do showreel edits in return for a days filming as well).
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

You must have been very unlucky Tim, I've also found Am Dram a good source for actors. The both the guys in Street Songs came from that source and I did a showreel edit in return for one of them. BUT I have also been involved with the society which I think may have made all the difference. Some people are shy coming forward if they don't know you. The lack of responce may also have something to do with the ethos of the groups some can be very inward looking and some club secretaries don't always do what they say they will do.

We found local drama groups do not necessarily guarantee decent actors. For our 2012 club film we asked a local drama group for actors and had a couple down for testing. one was very poor the other absolutely brilliant. one thing we found was people from armature dramatics tend to "over act" and need to tone down a bit.

Also the club advertised in the locsal paper for actors and had a few down for screen testing. again, a very mixed bag. These "actors" were shot saying a few lines in front of a green screen and kept on file for future reference.
    Last edited by enc; 07-22-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    one thing we found was people from armature dramatics tend to "over act" and need to toan down a bit.
    This is entirely to be expected. Stage acting requires one to be able to communicate via voice and body language with people at the back of the auditorium. Film acting often requires the actor to be even more subtle than in real life as the framing and angle of the shot is oftem designed to emphasise a look or a movement.

This is one reason I really didn't want to be the fourth character in our current production (who is no more than a foil). Whilst it's nearly three decades since I did a bit of am-dram, the things you pick up in your formative years tend to stick. So my "over acting" was ideal for the spoof silent B&W a couple of years ago "The Great Director" (note how we pre-empted "The Artist" by a few months ) I am well aware it is not suitable for a more serious drama.

Having said that, we have a couple of am-dramists who fully understand this and are doing a great job toning down their performances. So I agree with enc. It can be done.
    Tim

You make a good point about the standard not being even. I have found you can go from next to useless to brilliant. Also your right the guys who haven't acted in front of a camera before do need to be told to tone it down but once you have cast someone it's down to the director to get the best out of his actors.

SO if you see a bad performance it's not really the actors fault, they either should never have been cast in the roll or the director has failed to do his job.

Why the hell do I write some words in capitals like BUT and SO etc...

Last week we were shooting scenes for our 2012 club film and one of the actors who is originally a southerner was playing a generic northerner ( i guess we all sound like Peter K to outsiders) anyway the part requires him to say "i guess you'll be buggerin off t'egypt" or "i guess you'll be buggering off to egypt"
    anyway, after 6 takes and numerous tries off camera he finally got it ! but what i laugh ...the room was in uproar

definitely one for the bloopers roll
    Last edited by enc; 07-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.