Thread: Will Vegas Movie studio Platinum 11 run well on this? - thanks

Question Will Vegas Movie studio Platinum 11 run well on this? - thanks

I am about to buy a new computer with win 7 64 bit -and planning to move over to Vegas Movie Studio 11 from Premiere CS3. (CS3 seemed over kill for me and moving over to a win 7 64 bit would mean an expensive upgrade with Adobe.)

Would the spec below - run Vegas Movie Studio platinum well? I am an occasional video editor - usually up to 15 mins only, sound and titles mainly.

I have deliberately gone for i5 3550 processor as opposed to i7 3770, as for occassional video use and as a non gamer, the hyper threading facility didn't seem worth the extra cost, but if people think it is essential I will reconsider.

I have picked the Geforce GT 630 graphics card as it is recent mid range OEM release with 384 CUDA cores/875MHz.

Processor (CPU) - Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3550 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
    Motherboard - ASUS® P8H77-M: M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™
    Memory (RAM) - 16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
    Graphics Card - 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 630 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk - 250GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
    2nd Hard Disk - 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
    Firewire - 3 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI Card (£9)
    Operating System - Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Thanks in advance for advice.

If this is only for occasional use then it will get you by. The i7 would obviously be better. Especially on rendering times. All editing software will start to struggle if you have a lot of effects or colour correction on anything but the best set up. In Vegas you can reduce the preview quality to overcome this.

Thanks Midnight blue
    For my use this has reassured me. I have over spec'd in previous years. So didn't want to go overboard this time. Thanks again.

São Paulo - Brazil

Hi HappyDay,

If the price difference is not all that big, go for the I7 and change the 1st HDD for a SSD around 128GB.... I have a very similar configuration to yours (I7, 16GB, 1gb graphics etc), but the boot disk is a Kigston 128gb SSD, what made a huge difference. Run windows and Vegas at the SSD and you won´t believe how fast things can run. From pushing the button to full working status in less than 25s.... Rendering is quite fast too....

The only thing to take care is always ask to istall programs and save files at the 2nd disk, as most are "auto" to C:...and you don´t want to fill the SDD with 2ndary stuff.

I´m running Win64 + Vegas HD 11, but planning to upgrade to PRO in a few months.... Not sure if needed, but....
    Last edited by TonyBR; 07-23-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: SSD, not SDD :)

London, England

I thought the bigger isssue to be addessed is that Studio is 32-bit, so the Win power will be set for that. If that's the case then it is processor power that will determine the performance (( which usually means Render-Time)). Don't know the Apple processors, but a quad-core or better (like Hyperthreading), is the way to go.

Vegas Pro, on the other hand does come in 64-bit (perhaps OP can tell us how that's selected, - after he Upgrades).... so that extra memory may help the Editing process. The Sony website has a slightly confusing list of Graphic cards that will help speed-up Rendering, whether that's Preview or Rendering to create a Disc.

Thanks TonyBR and vidmanners for your input. It seems that i7 is the way to go if speed is of an issue. It seems to cost about a £150 more to upgrade to i7 + SSD. Never thought of an SSD, are these sort of disc as reliable as the normal kind? Mind you I've just had a seagate barracuda die on me after only 3 years!

São Paulo - Brazil

My current machine is about 7 months old, and the SSD is working fine.... what can I say? It´s supposed to be more reliable than any HDD, as there are no moving parts for example.... It´s basically a memory stick, nothing more!