Thread: Rally Documentary

Default Rally Documentary

Rallying - YouTube

Rally documentary I made for college

The documentary was great

The interview at 4:18 should have had a backdrop related to the story (rather than a peach wall)

Couldn't stand the music but that's because I'm old
    Last edited by zamiotana; 07-21-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Liked, but a bit long to me. The interviews were full of data, so maybe you can add more clips showing what they are talking about and reduce the amount of time with just the guy talking in front of the wall. Liked the music, and Im also old

I only watched it for a few mins. Firstly the aspect ratio was wrong. It should have been 16:9 but was 4:3 this gave the impression that everything was squashed. The audio quality on the interview wasn't very good, it was as if you had either used a very poor mic or tweaked all the bottom end (low frequencies) to try and get rid of a hum noise. Who did the voice over he sounded familiar to me.

The other aspects of the video like the shots and editing seemed quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I only watched it for a few mins. Firstly the aspect ratio was wrong. It should have been 16:9 but was 4:3 this gave the impression that everything was squashed. The audio quality on the interview wasn't very good, it was as if you had either used a very poor mic or tweaked all the bottom end (low frequencies) to try and get rid of a hum noise. Who did the voice over he sounded familiar to me.

The other aspects of the video like the shots and editing seemed quite good.

Ye I don't know why it came out in 4:3 because it was fine when I burned it to a DVD so trying to look into that. I did the voice over

You sound very much like a guy who does motor sport voice overs on TV don't know his name, so that's a big bonus for you.

The aspect ratio problem is probably from selecting "square pixel" setting when in fact your footage doesn't have square pixels. Example 1920 x 1080 is the dimension of HD footage. This has square pixels but some cameras shoot 1440 x 1080 this footage will show as the same size as the other but has oblong or stretched pixel size.

It's just a guess it might be some other issue without knowing more.

Hope that helps.

Too long! i didnt make it to the end and im interested in the subject!. Im neither young or old but i dint like the music
    Young lad at the beginning is nervous and stutters/repeats himself frequently. You need car engine/ambient noise on the race action cutaways even if its very low in the mix.

Some great footage, editing was pretty tight and well suited to this type of documentary.
    What yyou have got is a great voice for voice overs, well recorded well presented ....best part of this video IMO.

Blog Entries

I'm no petrolhead but I really enjoyed that. If I'd made that for college (I'm assuming 6th form?) I'd be really pleased with it. There's plenty that could be better and others have already commented on some of this so my apologies where I repeat (but I hope I add a bit).

First off. I am old, but i though both piees of music were absolutely perfect for the sport. (But bear in mind another thread where I explain my difficulties in chosing music so I might not be the best judge)

You started with a high-octane piece of music and a montage of a mix of action shots and establishing shots, then a title. Just before we got to the point where I thought it was going to be yet another five minutes of montage of random rally shots (YouTube is full of them) your voiceover came in.

I have to complement you on an excellent script which you delivered clearly, with an infectious level of excitement. And it was recorded clearly.

I thought you structured the film very well. It was logical and linked the different themes and interviews in a logical and natural manner.

Unfortunately the interviews rather let it down though. Audio quality was poor, but they were also lit rather poorly - a large contrast between the light falling on one side of the face and the other. The interviewees weren't always the most interesting of people and there were also times where the interview was either getting overly technical or jargonny for a lay audience or was labouring the point.

Never be afraid to ask an interviewee to repeat something or phrase it differently if you don't think it's good enough. They want to come across as intelligent and able to communicate as well so they will often be only too glad to re-take a section. If you do get a touchy one, you can always claim a technical hitch as the reason for needing a re-take.

Nevertheless, I think this video could have been improved tremendously with some ruthless editing of the interview footage - it may have required you to include a bit more in your voiceover and cut to shorter sections of the interviews. Interviews are important and it's great to get stuff from the horses mouth - better, in gereral, than the voice of a narrator, but it's not essential to keep everything that they say - especially if it kills the pace of the video as it did here. Often sound-bites can be more effective.

If you want a specific example, the business about the tyres seemed to go on endlessly and could have been handled in as much detail in about a third of the time with judicious editing.

My other complaint is the documentary ended and then we had nearly three minutes of montage at the end. I can't believe it was so short - it felt much longer. Yes, you want a montage for the end of the piece but I'd have limited it to less than a minute. As it was, it suddenly made the film sound like one of those many YouTube montages I referred to earlier.

Sounds ike I'm giving you a lot of criticism, doesn't it? That's because its easy to write loads about problems and possible solutions. The good bits (structure, script, narration and most of the shots) comprise 90% of the film but need not further comment. Record better audio on your interviews and edit them much more ruthlessly and you'll be making truly excellent documentaries. Well done.
    Tim

Thanks for the advice