Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Torch

Blog Entries

Default Olympic Torch

Grab a camera and tripod. Note where the guy from the BBC is standing and perch next to him. See if you've captured anything usable.

Hardly my best effort and I'm sure people are sick of the coverage by now, but when it's on your doorstep (and the club's covering a bit of this and a bit of teh cycling for the summer project) it's got to be done.

At least it was a practice for speeding up my editing as it will be history tomorrow.

Tim

Well done Tim. I think it's as good a report as you would see on any local TV News.

I just couldn't be arsed when it came to York.

Is that you narrating? Really good.... Liked the editing diversity a lot too.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Yes it is me narrating. I do find that the more I do it the more confident I feel. Like most people I hated the sound of my own voice and wanted others to voice over for me, but after one person in particular (an elderly lady former teacher with her fingers in many pies, one of which was being chair of the local operatic society) said I did a much better job than others whom I'd considered - primarily because it was my script and I was speaking from a personal level - I've contnued to do them myself. *I* still don't particularly like the sound, but I trust the judgement of others. Also I'm usually available when I want a voiceover and I'm cheap!

Midnight - you're too kind. I'm not sure about it being as good as local TV news as they'd have captured better footage, but I think given the material I had to work with I did as well as could be expected.

I was actually trying for a one minute piece but I just couldn't get it to "balance" right - it seemed too rushed.
    Tim

The narration sounded like it was done by somebody who was actually interested in the story, so for me that was the best part

The production was definitely way better than the local news we get here in Canada -- particularly the "real life" shots like the woman taking a picture from her window

Perfect timing of the transitions -- very engaging

On the down side I don't think the music did anything for it, but that's coming from someone who used four random piano keys as the theme in his last production

Why do we all hate the way we sound and look on our own videos? But Tim, the lady was right: your narration is really professional, with a very clear English that even I can understand word by word! If I ever need some good narration in English, I already know the door I´ll knock at!

Hardly my best effort

What do you mean Tim! Can you you point me to one of your videos that YOU! Think is your best effort. Because to me this was perfect. The Olympics is not really a strong point of mine but as a topic I thought you covered it perfectly. And please stop knocking your own work. Like I said before "The Stannards have got a lot of talent"

Blog Entries

Thanks all for watching and making the time to comment.

Zam - choosing music is my biggest problem with video. You'd think this would be easy as I grew up singing in a choir and listening to popular classics, before discovering "pop" in the early 70's (when just about anything went) through playing in both failed original bands and semi successful semi-pro "function" bands as well as getting quite heavily into jazz for several years. But it seems the opposite is the case. I probably spent as much time trying to find a piece of music among my collection of 23 SmartSound Albumss as I did editing it all together.

I regularly listen to music and picture what images/scenarios would work well with it, but struggle the other way round. Well, not quite. I can hear the music which I think will fit, but can never find it. I could try to write & record it myself, but I simply don't have the time, money or inclination (even before we establish whether i've got the talent or ability)

Interestingly your comment came on the very same day that my son said of his graduation video (and I quote):

Ha, brilliant.

The video's really good, thanks, but you really need to splash out on the licence for some decent background music! It makes it seem like a parody!
    Any tips on choosing music gratefully received.

CW - my immediate reaction was "there are loads of examples of better videos" but then as I think about it, I guess I become more critical with each film I make (which is as it should be). Personally I think last year's "Battersea Dalmations at Shepperton Raft Race" was pretty well constructed. I'm also proud of the one minute montage "Race for Life". (And ensemble efforts like my first "proper" attempt - "Eye in the Sky" from 2007 and "The Great Director")

But you're right. I should stop knocking my work publicly - it could come across as false modesty. Yet I do see the flaws and hope others will be prompted to point out more flaws. I also feel that as I'm often fairly brutal in my criticism of other people's work, I want them to understand that I try to be just as critical and open to criticism of my own work.
    Tim

"there are loads of examples of better videos"

I know exactly where your coming from Tim. And that's the great thing about this forum you can pick up things from members that you may have mist or just had not thought of.

I wonder how many times a BBC Camera man or editor after airing a news bulletin would have said. Damn I should have done that differently. Its got to happen even with the Pro's. Its gone on air and its to late. But its only then you can spot your own errors when its to late. Sure we all go for getting it 100% Right first time. But Sods law says even with the best that's not always possible. Like most people when I watch the news on TV I automatically except the way the topics are presented for my information.

Good job Tim
    Excellent narration as always ...very professional.
    Not too long either.
    Hope to god Charlie gets a riddle on he seemed very laid back

Seriously well done catching it on camera.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast