Thread: Time-lapse modeling a tank - 4 hours squeezed into 10 minutes.

Default Time-lapse modeling a tank - 4 hours squeezed into 10 minutes.

Hello there.

Not too long ago I posted a shortish speed modeling time lapse of me modeling a lightsaber hilt. I thought it was relatively well received, so here is a try at longer and much more complex model. T-37 soviet amphibious tank. I made this in the course of couple of months when I had free time. Tt took less than four hours of actual modeling time. I have already been informed that many methods I used were rather crude or unwise, but I'm by no means master of the craft. I have thus far received no formal training on 3d modeling, it's all self-taught. I'm trying to learn from the mistakes and avoid them in the future.

The software used is Autodesk 3ds Max 2012, student licence. Feel free to skip parts if you don't actually wish to see whole 10 minutes of it, there are renders of the finished product in the end.

Time-Lapse Modeling - T-37 Tank - YouTube

Let me know what you think of it and thanks for watching.

Huge work! A bit long for a time-lapse perhaps?

I think when making a video like this it's good to show the viewer the final result first so the viewer can then make the decision to invest their time into watching the whole video. Doing that will help with your audience retention.

Bit lenghty, yes, but I though making it shorter would make some parts quite jumpy and unclear as to how they were done.

Midnight Blue, I was actually suggested that by a friend of mine before I uploaded the video online. Would seem she was not the only one who would have found it fitting. The preview pic in Youtube does give you pretty good idea what to expect, but of course I should have noted it won't be seen when linking to a forum.

Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Just to add a more weight to the suggestion you show the finished article first. A retired journalist and fellow film making friend of mine says that making a documentary (and this is a form of documentray) is a bit like writing an article for a newspaper. You need to hit the audience with the headline first and maybe the subheading. Once they know what it's about they are more likely to read the detail, but even if they don't read the detail, they know the key points.
    Tim

That quite good analogy, actually. I guess I'll have to mention it to the friend that originally suggested I should do it, she'd be glad to know I was actually "wrong" here.