Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please review my video

Default please review my video

hello friends

i recently joined this forum and i am an ameture video editor. i try to edit like a pro but it is you who will be the judge of my work. here i post my video. this video is NOT TO OFFEND ANY GROUP. it is just a video. so, please review....

Should there be some audio on this. Each slide isn't on the screen long enough to give the viewer chance to read all the text.

Blog Entries

A good rule of thumb when you are putting captions on a screen is to read them aloud. With text as long as this I'd give each pice o text as long as it takes and then half as much again.
    Tim

Initial text is too light against the background. Try different colours/sizes perhaps? What was said before too....

thank you very much.

how to read the caption aloud? what software can i use?

here comes another video. please review it too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xxx200 View Post
    thank you very much.

how to read the caption aloud? what software can i use?
    I mean read it aloud when you're timing how long to leave it on the screen. Not record your voice.
    Tim

here comes another video. please review it too.

did you actually film this?
    if you did, there's not much for you to learn on an amateur forum (even tho some guys here would be able to teach something to anyone)

if you didn't, I'd say, first, get a camera and start filming, tell stories with your camera, not with your title software. The first video is not a video, it's a slideshow converted in video format.

the second video looks like you took a scene from an actual movie and inserted titles in between.

if you want to tell a story on a video, tell it with images, not words actually written on the screen.
    if you have to write, don't use abbreviations

I think the main question here is: what it is that you want to do?

- are you a teacher making educational videos for your course?
    - are you trying to illustrate research that you are doing?
    - are you trying to make a movie?
    - are you telling stories? fiction? realistic?
    - where do you come from (did you do photography, acting, writing etc... before)
    - where do you want to go (professional film maker, documentary filmmaker, fiction, cinema, TV, school etc...)

and finally a couple of very helpful sentences if you're a beginner
    "better is the enemy of good"
    "less is more"

to which I add my own rule that I made up for myself: "it's better to succeed at something simple than fail at something technical" (which only applies on a given project when you have to deliver an end product at some deadline in time, but when you're actually learning and practicing, you want to challenge yourself)

so basically, forget about special effects and text scrolling and whatnot for now, keep it simple

do not take it the wrong way, we all started at some point, and speaking for myself, the road ahead is still extremely long and hard. But the first thing if you want to become better, is to recognize and work on what's wrong in order to make it -therefore yourself- better.
    if you want to edit, and just edit, you could work on sports highlight videos for example, you don't need your own cam to do it and I'm sure there's lots to learn doing this. If you want to be creative, you have to allow yourself to play, so maybe start with "lighter" themes that you would allow yourself to play with and experiment just for the sake of having fun with your editing software.
    or if you want to create, then find someone who would film original footage for you to edit.

if you want to be creative, you want to allow yourself to do things that are without other purpose than playing and experimenting while having fun, relax your brain and allow it to become creative.

thank you very much for replying.

yes i don't film the clip. i cut it from a video.

i just wanna spread my ideas through videos. all i do is to first state my point then add photo, video or text to support that point which i have done in the 2nd video. this is the format: argument, support, argument, support.......

so now you tell me specifically,and simply how to make a video like a pro that could influence people.

so now you tell me specifically,and simply how to make a video like a pro that could influence people.
    well, first thing. if it was specific and simple, then everybody would be doing it.

truth is, it is nor specific or simple. It can be done in a million completely different ways, and in 99% of the cases, the videos that look "like a pro" and "influence people" are a result of years of work, experience and learning.

Your main problem is that you do not use the video media, you do not actually "need" it to be a video, for what you are doing. you are not doing a video at all.

argument, support, argument, support scheme is valid, but it should translate into "sequence, sequence, sequence, sequence etc..." in a video, the images are the medium for a message, not the titles.

for example, the following video has a very strong and clear message. But it didn't need much text. There is actually two sentences. One in the middle, spoken, then another at the end, written and spoken as well. But the body of the message is told by the images alone. Everybody understands the message and it does have an influence on people. So specifically and simply, watch what they're doing, and ask yourself what to do in order to do the same, but for your message and your audience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast