Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 60D or 7D

Default Canon 60D or 7D

Hello,

I want to buy an SLR camera to shoot video with and at the moment, I'm torn between the Canon EOS 60D and the Canon EOS 7D.

I know that the 7D is technically a better camera, but I can get the 60D for about 200 cheaper.

I like the fact that the 60D has a moveable viewfinder and has manual audio (Although the 7D will soon have this in a firmware update).

What I want to know is: Is the difference is the 7D's image quality worth 200?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Hi There!
    What does Canon say to justify the price difference? Is the supplied lens different, perhaps?

It would be useful if you explain what you are intending filming... Maybe that 200 can be put to better use, but in buying gear it's not a big difference and I suspect the s/h value wouldreflect this, too.
    Can you wait until the 7D firmware is a reality - it seems odd that Canon are (only now) offering the capability of an earlier model . . . poor marketing, or what? The danger is that the Marketing bods don't deliver and you will lack the manual audio.
    Video is more than just fantastic image quality - esp. as the vid. won't use the whole output from the sensor.

Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-17-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

If it's just for video, get the 60d.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiG0NJim View Post
    Hello,

I want to buy an SLR camera to shoot video with and at the moment, I'm torn between the Canon EOS 60D and the Canon EOS 7D.

I know that the 7D is technically a better camera, but I can get the 60D for about 200 cheaper.

I like the fact that the 60D has a moveable viewfinder and has manual audio (Although the 7D will soon have this in a firmware update).

What I want to know is: Is the difference is the 7D's image quality worth 200?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Can there be a quality difference, they both use the same chip

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    If it's just for video, get the 60d.
    Good concise answer, Marc, but care to expand, just a little?
    Tim

Blog Entries

DSLRs are still developing as a means to record video. It stared off as a convenient add on, but soon developed into a whole new medium. Earlier models have limitations, and the 7d was ar the start of the video revolution. The general consensus across the web Is that the 7d diesn't provide better quality when it confess to video.

So you have to factor in other considerations, such as

- articulated screen
    - lower price
    - ability to install magic lantern
    - more compact

I would put the money towards a decent lens. Actually, if I was just into video, I'd buy a video camera. But that's a different thread.

If you cannot stretch to a full frame 5D2 or 5D3 then the best Canon DSLR for video is the new 650D which combined with the new STM lenses has the capacity for continuous auto-focus when shooting video. All the Canon APS-C DSLRs use the same sensor so video quality is identical.

I've had (and sold) both. Here's my take.

The 7D feels sturdier. It had a nice feel, but can't (and probably never will) be able to use Magic Lantern firmware. The White Balance can be adjusted while viewing the live image.

The 60D feels a little less sturdy, but it's perfectly good enough. The LCD is great for high or low angles. It can take Magic Lantern firmware if you choose to go that way. However, you need to dive in to the menus to change the custom while balance (kelvin temp) which I always found was a PITA! Magic Lantern mitigates this a little, but it's the one major complaint I had on the 60D.

If I had to go buy one of them again for video only, I'd take the 60D because of the cheaper price, the movable LCD and the ability to use Magic Lantern.

The image from the 7D was (subjectively) slightly lower noise, but nothing so different that it couldn't be cleaned with plug-ins like Neat Video.

Jim - here's another vote for the 650D over the 60D for video. Better video processor (new Digic 5 versus the 60D's Digic 4), autofocus, and touchscreen control of shutter, focus and menu make it the better choice for filmmakers.

Cheers and good luck with your decision,

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution

10. Default

If I had to do it today, I'd take the 60D. There's really not that much difference between them, and some of the features (creative pre-sets, easy movies) and the user interface and screen are nicer.

Last edited by christinachristina00; 09-19-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast