Thread: New Internal Hard Drive for Video Editing

Default New Internal Hard Drive for Video Editing

Hi all,

I've just purchased the latest Pinnacle Studio 15, after having used previous versions (7, 12 and 14).

I do a fair amount of video editing - holidays etc - both for myself and friends, but lately I have been struggling with editing my latest project, which was recorded in HD. When previewing, the scrubber bar moves along, then will suddenly stop showing the video, although the audio can still be heard.

Anyway, I've decided to add another internal hard drive to my PC, and use that for all my editing, and not have anything else on it. I'm looking at a 1TB SATA III 64mb cache 7200rpm.

Can anyone recommend one that would do the job?

Thanks in advance
    Clive

Hello Clive

Did you edit in HD on your previous versions of Pinnacle OK? Pinnacle is very processor and memory hungry. Not so much the hard drive. Can you post your system specs please?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Hello Clive

Did you edit in HD on your previous versions of Pinnacle OK? Pinnacle is very processor and memory hungry. Not so much the hard drive. Can you post your system specs please?
    Hiya,
    Thanks for replying. I've edited ok in V12, but 14 has given me some issues in the past.although I've managed to get through the project most times.

My specs are as follows...

AMD PHENOM II X 4 965 3400MHZ 4CORE
    WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE
    8GB RAM
    ATI RADEON HD 5450 1GB RAM
    LG 22" MONITOR
    ...and 3 internal hard drives, partioned to various sizes.

Hope this helps,

thanks

Hello again Clive

Looks more than up to the job. The reason I asked about previous HD Attempt's is I use V12 But my computer crashes when attempting HD I know I need a beefier machine.

I did find this on the Pinnacle forum "Intermediate conversion to HDV-MPEG2 is another approach" Like upload in standard mode and see if Pinnacle will convert it back to HD.

PC Spec aside, - I'd suggest that nowadays 1Tb is not economical, you'll get 2 or 3 for little more. It needs to be internally connected, eg SATA and then it should be fine. Most HDDs are made by the better makes . . . . more important, is the supplier IMHO , do they take care with their stock? Will you be buying this over the counter (ie Not via Post)..?
    I had issues with my MBO - it SATA sockets were there. but the System couldn't handle it. A revised ACHI file-call seems to fix this. However, that made me consider that fewer drives is a good idea, so one 3T is "better" than 3x 1Tb (and cheaper).
    Obviously you still need to back-up but that can be on ext.drives (USB?) where the transfer speed is of little consequence.

I respectfully disagree vidmanners.

It is a well known fact that if you have everything on a single big drive your performance will not be as good as a user who has multiple drives.

1 Drive = OS, Project files, capture scratch,

3 drives =
    OS
    Project Files
    Capture Scratch

There are many good websites which cover the concept in great detail, I would always advise as a starting point get a second disk seperate to the OS for video editing, + if your OS drive fails you still have the video drive or if the video drive fails you still have the OS.

Bpotter908, maybe it wasn't clear in my reply, . . . . but OP (Post#1) was adding a drive of 1Tb - it's not the drive for the OS/programs as I understood it.

A second larger SATA drive represent better value and helps avoid the ACHI file-issue.
    I agree that separate drives should improve things.
    (I paid 117 for bare 3Tb recently)