Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 takes out of 650, but I couldnīt resist!

Default 35 takes out of 650, but I couldnīt resist!

Just returned from our paddling trip. Filmed a LOT!!! Less than I wanted, more than I can afford to edit in time....

Last night I made this little video below, just cutting and adding pieces mostly at random... No color correction or anything else. Please send comments on colours, camera and other technical stuff I must take into account for the main edition Iīm about to start.

Thanks a lot, TonyBR.

Please watch in HD at Vimeo.

Blog Entries

Wow! Some lovely evocative shots here.
    It's pretty good as it is. Great chioice of music - not at all obvious, but worked really well.
    As you're after comments:

This was all done with dissolves which is often thought of as the "lazy" way of cutting shots together. Personally I thought it wored quite well here but by the end I was getting a little fed up woth them. If you dod dissolve, be very careful not to dissolve between two similar shots (unless you're deliberately trying for a "match cut"). See example at 2:15 - not a bad example but you can see what I'm getting at.

Cut out all unmotivated zooms (1:07 was the only that jumped out, this may have been the only one - there was a zoom on the lizard ut that was clearly motivated)

I'd get rid of all stills or put them in a section where you make it clear it's a collection of stills. Mixed in the the video they just "look" different.

But even if you ignore all that, I think you've still goot a fine film.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Wow! Some lovely evocative shots here.
    It's pretty good as it is. Great chioice of music - not at all obvious, but worked really well.
    As you're after comments:

This was all done with dissolves which is often thought of as the "lazy" way of cutting shots together. Personally I thought it wored quite well here but by the end I was getting a little fed up woth them. If you dod dissolve, be very careful not to dissolve between two similar shots (unless you're deliberately trying for a "match cut"). See example at 2:15 - not a bad example but you can see what I'm getting at.

Cut out all unmotivated zooms (1:07 was the only that jumped out, this may have been the only one - there was a zoom on the lizard ut that was clearly motivated)

I'd get rid of all stills or put them in a section where you make it clear it's a collection of stills. Mixed in the the video they just "look" different.

But even if you ignore all that, I think you've still goot a fine film.

Thanks a lot Tim! I allways enjoy your precise comments!

Yes, total lazyness the dissolves. I just went looking for some nice images and dragging one over each other at Vegas... At least they followed the right timing, but just because the files are time-arranged on the computer!!

Zooms! I donīt like them too, and the one of the little shack went through by "mistake". During the trip I tried to avoid them, stoping the camera, zooming, and starting again, but it was not easy....

Stills..... well, there are no stills in this video, so it seems that the tripod worked fine!! Maybe too well!!

Music..... Iīm going for a calm one on the main project, but...who knows??

Thanks again. Tony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Thanks a lot Tim! I allways enjoy your precise comments!
    Even when wholly innaccurate, as in:
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Stills..... well, there are no stills in this video, so it seems that the tripod worked fine!! Maybe too well!!
    I stand corrrected. Many apologies. In the section around 1:17 upon watching again I can see a fly buzzing around in one of the shots. But I have to watch full screen, close up! Interesting how teh total lack of any movement gave a different feel (to me) in these shots.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Even when wholly innaccurate, as in:

I stand corrrected. Many apologies. In the section around 1:17 upon watching again I can see a fly buzzing around in one of the shots. But I have to watch full screen, close up! Interesting how teh total lack of any movement gave a different feel (to me) in these shots.

Nahhh, youīre right, they look like stills for sure..... Three landed canoe bows with no movements..... who could guess?

I just downloaded the files from my GoPro camera, and the colours are SO different from the Sony camera (the movie above was made with Sony clips only).... Sony is really close to reality, while GoPro forces reds and yellows.... Shall I look for an intermediate level to avoid big differences in a final edition? How colour corrrection is perceived by the video community? Almost a sin like in Photo/Still-World?

How colour corrrection is perceived by the video community? Almost a sin like in Photo/Still-World?
    Not at all by most people, I would say it's almost considered a standard part of the editing process by most people and matching cameras is not something a stills photographer has to worry about. BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to get it in camera when you can.

Blog Entries

Thanks for bumping this, Midnight. I'd meant to comment on this point too.

In our club we have a pro cameraman. He shoots wildlife so he's not after unnatural loks. He is always on about shooting "flat" with as much info as possible and creating the look in post with colour correction/grading. "Flat" images tend to look washed out without much saturation or contrast and this allows maximum flexibility in post. This method of working would appear to be on the up. The new BlackMagic camera is designed to shoot only flat as far as I can see and comes bundled with DaVinci Resolve (ver powerful) grading software - so they clearly expect one to work that way.
    Tim

I also saw about the Black-magic promoting shooting flat it's seems like some of the 5D MkII guys (the good ones) have leaned to do it that way as well. DaVinci is a very good piece of software as a giveaway with a camera but I guess it's not just some camera. I can't see I like the look of it but I'm sure in the right hands it will produce great images.

Interesting stuff.... Guess Iīm still with both feet (and mind) in the "dark ages" of film still cameras, where "all you got is all you have"..... I have to read more about "colour grading" processes in video production. Theory + practice... Any recomendations in the "very basic" field??

Going to the DaVinci website now. There must be something to learn there....

Thanks guys. Loving every word.... and Iīll go back to Vegas and re-work the trip movie with colour-correction tools. Must be fun! Reds.....whos needs reds???

Tony

Guess Iīm still with both feet (and mind) in the "dark ages" of film
    Your not alone, I always try and do it in the camera but if you need to do a correction then that's what needs to be do to make the piece right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast