Thread: Deleting projects in Sony Vegas

Default Deleting projects in Sony Vegas

Hi All,

A relative newbie to Vegas etc so still I'm taking the pain killers.

I've just tried my first attempt at videoing a band. Lots of video and audio taking ages to build so, having finished it and saved it to DVD's, how do I delete the project entirely?
    I'm very keen to keep the PC free from unwanted files but I can't find in the help directory how to delete projects.

Your help appreciated.

Richard.

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. A project file can be deleted just like any file by browsing to it and pressing the delete key BUT it's only a very small file and what makes you think that you won't want to re-visit the project at a later date. There may be something in the project that you didn't notice but come across in a few months time that you might want to just make a little tweak to make it better.

I make a back ups of all my project files along with a copy of all the media (video clips etc.) that I used in the project onto an external HDD as well as back up copies of the the final rendered video. These things are valuable. So instead of looking at how you can get rid of them look at how you can save them and have back ups in case of disk failure.

Rich,
    in addition what Midnight Blue says above,
    you find the project files (*.vf VMStudio, *.veg VPro) in the folder that you save them to. The media files are in the folder(s) that you imported them to. You delete them as any other file(s).
    Remember that in Vegases, (from the manual) organization is handled by a small project file (*.vf or *.veg) that saves information about source file locations, edits, cuts, insertion points, transitions, and special effects. This project file is not a multimedia file, but is instead used to create (render) the final file, when the editing is finished. Because the software edits a project file and not the original source files, you can edit without worrying about corrupting your source files.
    Do you really want to delete your original source files or your rendered files? And do see the size of the project files, you'll be surprised.
    Last edited by vkmast; 07-13-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Default Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Rich,
    in addition what Midnight Blue says above,
    you find the project files (*.vf VMStudio, *.veg VPro) in the folder that you save them to. The media files are in the folder(s) that you imported them to. You delete them as any other file(s).
    Remember that in Vegases, (from the manual) organization is handled by a small project file (*.vf or *.veg) that saves information about source file locations, edits, cuts, insertion points, transitions, and special effects. This project file is not a multimedia file, but is instead used to create (render) the final file, when the editing is finished. Because the software edits a project file and not the original source files, you can edit without worrying about corrupting your source files.
    Do you really want to delete your original source files or your rendered files? And do see the size of the project files, you'll be surprised.
    Many thanks gentlemen,

I'm a bit paranoid about keeping my PC system clean after having built it and I wasn't entirely sure how things work in Vegas and the file etc so, I was a bit concerned about things piling up. Nevertheless, your help much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.