Thread: MacBook Pro W/Adobe Premiere

Question MacBook Pro W/Adobe Premiere

Hi, I have an early 2011 13 Inch MacBook Pro that has:
    2.3GHz i5
    16GB Ram
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    320GB 5400rpm hard drive with 120GB free.

I am editing native footage from the Canon T2i (550d). I mainly edit music videos using Adobe Premiere. I normally edit with less than 10 layers and each layer does use Magic Bullet Looks for color correction. It takes me over an hour to render a 4minute clip and takes over 3 hours to actually export the footage into h.264.

Do any of you know why this actually going so slow? Could this be the result of using Magic Bullet Looks so many times?

Quote Originally Posted by CodyFilms View Post
    2.3GHz i5
    16GB Ram

I am editing native footage from the Canon T2i (550d). I mainly edit music videos using Adobe Premiere. I normally edit with less than 10 layers and each layer does use Magic Bullet Looks for color correction. It takes me over an hour to render a 4minute clip and takes over 3 hours to actually export the footage into h.264.

Do any of you know why this actually going so slow? Could this be the result of using Magic Bullet Looks so many times?

Hi, I think your hard drive is too slow. Try to copy all source files to an external drive and render then.

Quote Originally Posted by qbamech View Post
    Hi, I think your hard drive is too slow. Try to copy all source files to an external drive and render then.
    I just purchased a 64GB solid state drive to put my OS on then I was going to use the 5400rpm drive for video editing but you think I should purchase a faster drive.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyFilms View Post
    2.3GHz i5
    16GB Ram

10 layers? Good grief. Magic Bullet is going to significantly add to your render time because it's not very well optimised. End of story really. The more you use it (and on more layers) the more time it will add to the render. Adding a faster hard disk is not going to make things significantly faster.

Use the activity monitor (it's in the utilities folder) to see where the time is being spent. It's unlikely that you're waiting on the hard disk.

"5400rpm" is not considered an acceptable speed for standard definition editing and are you editing HD footage off that canon? Ouch your poor drive, Magic Bullet does suck up a huge level of resources but the HDD will definitely make a difference, Especially for editing in the time line when scrubbing through footage.

Just a hunch I have
    1) Go to the menu bar in premier at the top
    2) Go to Edit
    3) Go to preferences
    4) Go to Memory
    5) Check the dropdown menu that say's "optimise memory for:"

If it states Performance, leave it alone but if it say's "memory" change it to Performance.

Magic Bullet is a nice toy when your starting out, But I think personally you will get a huge performance increase if you send your footage into after effects and learn how to use it's effects engine, I've done things in after effects that Magic Bullet looks will just fall over and die if I tried it + AE is built to work as good as it can for premier pro, Magic Bullet is not so good at using resources correctly as David pointed out.

I have been known to use 20 layers, yet my videos render very fast.
    Let's say you line up your 10 layers, If you cut to a shot or dim opacity from one shot to another or whatever, Try deleting the footage under or above the content that you do not need, So in effect you should only have 2-3 layers of ACTUAL footage playing back on your program screen instead of 3 layers visible 7 layers in the background processing away.