Thread: Advice for self-edited guitar cover

Talking Advice for self-edited guitar cover

hi all, new to the forum.. but just wanted some advice about a new video i recently created. First off, im only 15. the vid is basically me playing guitar and being taped while doing so.. (simple enough!). Ive had a few people agree on another music forum that the video itself is cheesy, but others i know would strongly disagree. im somewhat of an "amateur" with video editing, but id really appreciate if someone could give an honest opinion from an "editors perceptive", and advise how to possibly change (or not?) in the future? Many thanks in advance, Joel.

VIDEO-> Joel Rorseth - Chinese Democracy Cover - YouTube

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum. Firstly I don't think you did a bad job with this for this type of video. It's better than the one fixed camera guitar playing videos that YouTube is full of.

I think it's hard to come up with interesting ideas to hold the interest of a viewer who is not watching the video from the point of view of "Oh look how fast he can play the guitar". You are extremely competent with your instrument that is not in question. Let me give you one piece of guitar playing advice, slow down.

Ok the video could have been better if you had more close up shots. I liked that you shot from a couple of different angles but remember when you make your next guitar video to a lot more close ups. Make the close ups interesting by shooting unusual angles like down the neck of the guitar from the head and the reverse of that. Remember you can shoot from above and below as well. For a fast piece like this it would suite some fast cuts, but not every piece would. Take a few cut away shots of flashing indicator lights and vibrating speaker cones so when you are editing you have a lot of interesting shots to choose from. Finally think about your background before you start shooting. Could you make it look less like your filming in your home.

My last piece of advice is don't loose that joy you have when you're playing, your peers may not think it's cool but that's because it's so way past cool for most of them to grasp.

Good luck with your next video.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Midnight is right about close-ups and cutaways. Virtually all of this is in medium-long shot.
    You've got some idea about interesting angles, but I'd suggest they're nowhere near extreme enough.
    The vast majority of shots whould be looking upwards (looking down on a person diminishes their status, and you want to look like a rock god I assume).

But who is this video for? Who is your audience? No matter how good you are or how good you look someone playing in a very middle class looking domestic environment is really going to struggle to look like anything other than a middle class kid playing with his toys.

So, get out. look at different environments. They don't show Slash standing on mountain tops without good reason - those shots cost a lot to do!

But even then, you still have to ask yourself, what are you doing this? What are you trying to achieve?

If it's just a vanity project, then fine. If it's an audition tape, it needs a more exciting environment.

Thanks much for the replies! its funny, my audience right now is peers (mainly), and youtube users in general i suppose. ive had some cool ideas for different locations to shoot, but id like to save the better for more important videos (original song, amateur music video maybe in the future). thanks again for the great tips, ill be sure to use them

At 15 you have a great future as a guitarist. Stylish and very, very competent. Stuff the videos . . . your future is in ROCK MUSIC!!!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Smalltown, Queensland

Love the colour of the video, all them purples, yeah nice house lol.

Couldn't stand you looking up and into the cam, you came across as çocky and full of yourself', which stopped me liking you, (I don't mean that personal, it's a psychology thing). But I couldn't watch it all because of this.

At 1.20 your hand vanished from the guitar when you cut the scene, despite the note still sounding; so watch out for that in the future, it's easy to miss when you've watched a video 1000 times.

But overall you done good, and you are positively working on your art, and asking for feedback, and that's all that matters for now.

Keep it up

aha absolutely. it is an easy mistake to make, saying from personal experience. in this part though, it happens that the "next" clip is in slow-motion, and dosnt really line up with the previous. I think i focused more on a seamless transition into the following (matching) full-speed clip rather than the transition from the previous different angle. Thanks a lot for noticing though, ill make sure not to cut anything early next time

Staten Island

you play extremely well, but the video doesn't do your playing full justice; check out Orianthi's videos where she is demonstrating her technique; I think these have the right mix of shots

aha thanks for the recommendation