Thread: Newbie with questions

Default Newbie with questions

Hi all, I'm based in Kent and over the past couple of years, have moved across from just taking pics to video. I bought a Sony Nex 5 when it came out and have a couple of POV cams - Contour HD's for use on the bike itself. Over the past six months I've made the transition from iMovie over to FCP X and whilst nowhere near being an expert, I'm, getting the hang of it.

I'm now looking to 'move up' with a better DSLR or maybe a dedicated Video Cam - herein lies my dilemma - I've read so many reviews and watched so many videos, my head is exploding with it all....

I'm veering towards a Canon 5D III however I still have some doubts on this. I was looking to get a rig of some description and a new Manfrotto tripod.

My question is should I be looking at the Nikon D800 or should I be looking at a Video Cam - I did look seriously at the JVC HM150 as it records straight to dot mov files and gets reasonable reviews.

My budget is 2,500 to 3,000 to begin with and I hope to add more lenses / equipment into next year.

Here's an example of the type of stuff that I'm doing - at just past three mins is where Nex 5 footage is, the bike footage is Contour hD

I think the best DSLR camera out there at the moment is the Canon 5D MkIII BUT that doesn't mean it's the right camera for you for Video. If I was you I would go for the Panasonic GH2 with a couple of nice lens. 70-200mm zoom and a fixed 50mm. It's a quarter of the price of the 5D and gives a really nice result when used properly.

I have had the use of a GH2 for six months now and don't really like it that much. I prefer the Sony tbh, despite the reviews of the GH2. I have about a month to decide, so will look at all options.

Well that's fair enough if you don't like the GH2. Have a look at the reviews on Philip Blooms website. He's probably the best person to consult if you want a DSLR for video use.

Yes thanks, i have looked at his site amongst others. It seems the more that I read, the more unsure I get...! I started off originally set on getting the 5D III.

Well, like I said in my first post the 5D MkIII is the best DSLR for video around. Making videos isn't just about having a nice camera though. Good lens are very very important to get the most out of a good camera.

If the ergonomics of the camera don't suite you, it's going to get in the way of filming, this is the big issue with using DSLRs for video. They are made for taking stills which they are excellent at but even though they had had some good development on the video side they are not true video cameras. Something like the Panasonic AF101 is moving to wards the ideal video camera, notice I said moving toward. THIS is the crux of the matter at a consumer price level there isn't a "perfect" camera, yet. BUT it will eventually happen. The AF101 was my camera of choice but they need to put in it a full sized sensor and use a better codec. We are now talking about aiming for real quality which is probably not a practical for the average consumer user. So I guess it comes down to how the user is going to use what he has and is he prepared to do those things needed to get the extra out of what he's got.

I seem to have gone into big time waffling mode so I'll shut up now.

Default New member

Hi i am john peter i am a wild life photographer i have D40 Camera is this batter for my work?