Thread: Best capture card / analogue-to-digital converter to capture component input?

Lightbulb Best capture card / analogue-to-digital converter to capture component input?

Hi Guys,

Not been on the forum for a while but trying to get back into things now.

I bought a Pinnacle AV/DV Deluxe package when I first started video-editing, to use with Pinnacle Studio 9. This worked ok (not great, but then my experiences with Pinnacle software were never too positive). However, many years later and now with a Windows 7, 64-bit PC, I can't get it to work (even using a newer version of Pinnacle Studio 14).

Therefore, I'm looking to buy some new hardware to capture analogue video from my old camcorder (via component cables) and was looking for recommendations. There's some cheap 10 Component-to-USB gadgets on Amazon but the reviews are poor. Ideally, I'd prefer an external device so I can easily use it between different PCs and would like to capture to edit in Sony Vegas (my current package of choice).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Not sure what the "cutting edge" solution is these days, but when I've had to do this, Canopus products were always considered the best. Google "canopus advc110 ebay".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Not sure what the "cutting edge" solution is these days, but when I've had to do this, Canopus products were always considered the best. Google "canopus advc110 ebay".
    I think all the Canopus (bought out by Grass Valley) external stuff is firewire so you may need to factor a firewire card into the equation (or cards if you want to use it across several PCs).

Blackmagic Designs do an external box - the Intensity Shuttle which will work with USB 3.0. I've got the intensity Pro, intenal card, but can't comment on it as a capture device as I've never tried it (I use it to output my previes to TV)
    Tim

Thanks, will look into Canopus and the Intensity shuttle.

I've got a firewire card already so that hopefully won't be an issue.