Thread: Filming in sunlight - use Video Glasses for monitoring

Default Filming in sunlight - use Video Glasses for monitoring

One of my biggest problems in doing outdoor shoots is the difficulty of clearly seeing the LED video monitor because of the ambient brightness and harsh glare of sunlight. Knowing that my Panasonic HPX170 has a composite video out (RCA plug) that can display the 16:9 video on a remote monitor, I wondered if there were video glasses that the camera operator could use during outdoor filming so he/she can better see what the camera sees regardless of whether the camera is mounted on a tripod, on a boom, or even a steady cam. After researching many possibilities, at prices ranging up into the thousands, I finally found a relatively cost-effective solution, which I have recently purchased, and which meets my camera's technical requirements. It is called the Wrap 1200 from http://www.vuzix.com/

Here is a video that shows someone using video goggles. Although the pair he is wearing is not the Wrap 1200 model, the concept is the same.

If you buy them I recommend you also buy the Wrap Lightshield (see accessories page) to further improve the viewing experience.

The drawback to this off-the-shelf product is that battery life is limited to about two hours active viewing, but it comes with rechargeable batteries and a USB charger. On the up side, this thing also comes with cables that allow you to use it with your iPhone or DVD player.

I thought I would share this with everyone on the forum, because it is a great little production helper.
    Digger

How do you find using them ? Is it odd at first but you soon get use to it. Framing is one thing but how is it for focusing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    How do you find using them ? Is it odd at first but you soon get use to it. Framing is one thing but how is it for focusing ?
    I would like to reserve commenting on this definitively until we have a chance to put the product through some field trials. Yes, it does take some getting used to, but it certainly gives you a much better view of what the camera sees. Although 16:9 HD resolution video gets reduced to 852 x 480 pixels on the twin display screens in the glasses, it certainly seems to be fine for dipping for focus, but I have not done a fine-focus with a test chart yet.

Another of the drawbacks we have already found is that the video monitored through the glasses DOES NOT contain the ZEBRA info available on the camera's swing-out LCD monitor. This means that the operator must have a good feel for what the video should look like using eyeballs only. Of course, you can take the glasses off and make all the necessary adjustments prior to shooting, then go solo on the glasses for framing and focus only. That, itself, is advantageous.

There are trade offs, but I really think the glasses are worth it, especially when trying to do outside work here in the desert.

Interesting idea and yet to be useful it must go further - Yet, without a volume Market, - why would it?

A while ago there was a similar colour device called "EyeScreen" I recall, and that could plug into an ipod (with video), not sure if it delivered audio, but this should be easy enough to include. What would be nicer, would be a WiFi or similar connection, so the viewer would be wire-free.

For only $250 Wrap 920 -

For me what I would love is this:

Vuzix STAR 1200 Augmented Reality System

That + Cad software for stage design...oooooo.

Bpotter908,
    A tad pricey unless you know it's exactly right (there being significant "risk" in buying new tech)...(interestiingly they have "Refurbished" at 125 DYOR), but hide behind a tangle of web-pages - something that indicates they are somewhat shakey IMHO, or have little grip on reality (maybe both).
    I shan't be spending that sort of money until I can see it working, in my hand (or on my face). They claim a HDMI input - and PAL/NTSC options, but it seems to need enless "accessories" to be the promised solution to portable vision.
    A plastric case at 34 looks outrageous.
    Will it work "in the field?" - oddly I see little about Battery-Life, which is a worry and you are the only source to have suggested this eyewear. So I'm guessing it's not mainstream, yet the screens are not "new" as many cameras have them . . . and Camcorders with EVF. Another concern is the lack of diopter adjustment, I'm sure this is included, but it looks sloppy not to address such an ovbious cncern along with battery-type and life.
    Their earphones look natty, but a tad weak for "field-work" and probably too quiet on the go - IMHO.

I can see a Chinese Look-alike at 60, = would be the business and maybe worth the risk..... but then I tend to wait until "Tech" has been through a few iterations, anyway.

Geed Luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 08-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.