Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SmartSound audio track was flagged by YouTube.

Default My SmartSound audio track was flagged by YouTube.

As it turns out disputing copyright claims on YouTube is not easy. I was notified that an audio track on one of my videos violates another artist copyright. Since this was a loyalty free track I purchased from a large vendor (SmartSound), I submitted a claim, but it got rejected giving me no other ways to dispute the decision. I tried to talk to YouTube directly and got a polite but negative result - YouTube doesn't handle these disputes by themselves.

Here is what I've found so far. SmartSound has a process for handling such cases: My Video was flagged by YouTube? but it would be best to obtain a copyright document before submitting your claim on YouTube. I'm still in the process disputing my claim, so I'll let you all know how it ends.

I had the same problem, but with music from a different vendor. I found my vendor's online link to their copyright information and provided this to YouTube. It took a few weeks but someone eventually got back to me (via email) saying that my stuff was now OK and I haven't had any problems since.

It's not the first time this issue has popped it's head up. I know there is a company claiming copyright on some Smartsounds music which I was told that YouTube are looking into it, what ever that means. I had this trouble with a piece I had totally written, recorded and played all the instruments (except the drums). I was asked to produce documentation to prove this so I wrote back to them about the futility of writing to myself to give me permission to use the music. Luckily this communication landed in front of the eyes of a real human being and they agreed with me.

Understand the need for copyright law but i think it needs a real overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I had the same problem, but with music from a different vendor. I found my vendor's online link to their copyright information and provided this to YouTube. It took a few weeks but someone eventually got back to me (via email) saying that my stuff was now OK and I haven't had any problems since.
    Lucky you. For my first dispute claim, I've sent them a link to the music track and a link to the SmartSound royalty free license page, but it still got rejected. I highly doubt that even initial claims are handled by YouTube - most certainly by the copyright holder.

By the way, SmartSound told me that they don't own exclusive rights to that track/album. One must only wonder how one company sells content with a royalty free license while another company also claims to hold rights to the same content... I must be missing something here...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrzee View Post
    Lucky you. For my first dispute claim, I've sent them a link to the music track and a link to the SmartSound royalty free license page, but it still got rejected.
    When this happened to me I simply informed SmartSound and they dealt with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzee View Post
    By the way, SmartSound told me that they don't own exclusive rights to that track/album. One must only wonder how one company sells content with a royalty free license while another company also claims to hold rights to the same content... I must be missing something here...
    It's not reallly that confusing.
    Company "A" holds the copyright. It grants company "B" the non-exclusive right to sell the non-exclusive rights to licence the product to others for syncing etc only.
    For example Keving McLeod (www.incopmpetech.com) music is available direct from him or also via SmartSound (where, presumably, Smartsound takes a cut)
    Tim

Thank you for explaining, Tim. It's much clearer now.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Understand the need for copyright law but i think it needs a real overhaul
    It's much worse than you think. The Sonny Bono Act of 1998 extended the copyright on all the Gershwin tunes I was planning to sing for you guys in my next movie. I'll have to end it with a Bollywood number now (considering it is a gangster movie set in the dirty thirties, it probably won't have the same effect).

Just FYI, I got the following email that made me really glad:

Dear AmazingPlanet4U,
    IODA has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video, "Cusco's Colorful San Pedro Market, Peru". For more information, please visit your Copyright Notice page
    Sincerely,
    - The YouTube Team

... so, there is truth in this world!

Blog Entries

That's good news MrZee. Pleasantly surprising, but good news
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast