Thread: airborne -- raw footage

Default airborne -- raw footage

I usually edit my aerial footage by interlacing it with ground-based footage that matches up, but I liked the fact that this particular cip lets the viewer feel like a passenger from start to finish -- I would like to figure out how to reduce wind noise on the microphone -- I've tried a few things like foam covers and plastic casings but I can't seem to separate out the wind from the rest of the things that are going on (like the beeiping vario or the radio)

The standard practice in the hang-gliding community is to replace the aerial audio with music or narration, but I think that approach takes away from the experience.

Zam
    Last edited by zamiotana; 07-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.

I agree with you that having the ambient sound adds to the viewer experience. I guess the wind will be very problematic up there for the microphone. I presume you are using a Go-Pro, I did a quick Google and came across THIS. I don't know if you've seen them before. I would be inclined to think they are not much better than the things you have already tried.

The most affective method of wind noise reduction is the zeppelin type with a big fluffy around it. Having the gap between the "dead cat" and the mic makes a big difference. I don't see how you could have an arrangement like that with a GoPro unless you had a separate microphone or sound recorder.

There will still be some wind noise which you could perhaps mask with a little light music.

Looks fun.

i'd like to try that

WOW! I liked this from start to finish.

In my opinion I found the wind noise seemed to be around the right volume for the clip, keeping the video more authentic. I use Pinnacle studio for editing and like most software you can adjust the volume of the video clips sound track. I would think for the hardened hang gliding enthusiast its best as it is. But maybe for the interested or just casual viewer some faint background music would be appreciated. Its just a matter of choice here.

All in All. Good job. Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malone View Post
    i'd like to try that
    We have a saying in the hang-gliding community --

"If at first you don't succeed, don't take up hang-gliding"