Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new & baffled by audio in VMS 11

Default new & baffled by audio in VMS 11

I have just switched from Pinnacle 12 to Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 however when I installed it neither music or audio effects loaded. When I go to TOOLS > Audio, all the choices are greyed out. There is a file on the DVD named "Content" with the audio files which I copied & pasted into my VMS folder but I have to access it through Explorer rather than it working as an integral part of VMS? The only reference to this problem on the web is someone who bought it on Amazon who said "oh yeah, the audio content doesn't load..." It seems obvious to me that it should but can't figure out how to do so. I can find no reference to a problem on Sony and they have not responded to my inquiries. I am hoping that someone here knows the solution? I'm running 32-bit Vista and am not having problems otherwise.

Cee,
    this is from Sony Vegas Knowledgebase (which you find on Sony Creative Software - Vegas video - ACID & Sound Forge audio editing under Support)
    You can copy the Content Folder to your local hard drive and then open the audio files within Vegas, either by using the explorer window or Project - Import media.
    So, no other solution as such.
    see https://www.custcenter.com/app/answe...d/5007/kw/5007

Thank you for the reply. I have already copied the Content folder to my hard drive, and yes, I can access it through Explorer, however the VMS 11 Manual says to add audio tracks you should go to Tools > Audio > and select from the sub directory. The problem is when I do that all the choices are grayed out. It seems apparent that the files SHOULD open otherwise why create the path, but I'm not sure others are having this problem because I'm not coming up with any references to problems with the Audio menu being grayed out. Can you shed any light why the menu doesn't function?

Default That works but....

Thank you for the reply. I had moved the Content folder to my hard drive and I can access it through Explorer. However the Manual & Steve Grisetti's book on Studio 11 says I should be able to add Vegas audio by going to TOOLS > Audio. When I do that all the choices are grayed out. It would seem something isn't working right. It's rather frustrating. Vegas studio seems to do everything but it's the only program I've seen that doesn't have it's package music & audio effects as an integral part of the software. Do you have any thoughts on how I can get the Audio menu to function?

Blog Entries

I think you are misunderstanding what's intended here.
    The Tools | Audio menu is for working with audio which has already been added to the project, added to the timeline.

If you want to add audio to Vegas, there are several ways. Here are three:

Simply drag a file from Windows explorer onto the timeline
    Open the Explorer window within Vegas and drag it from there
    File | Import Media

As ever the Interactive Tutorials are your friend.

Help | Interactive Tutorials | Basic | Adding Media to the Timeline
    Tim

I have already copied the Content folder to my hard drive, and yes,

Thanks, Tim, but I have accessed the audio via Explorer, and tried adding it into a projects. It's not a problem (though I do think it's a little convoluted--just my opinion)---However, what I do not understand is whether I've added music to the music track or not, my AUDIO menu remains gray. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and I cannot find a reference to it being a problem anywhere. The tutorials I've seen show it working...

Quote Originally Posted by CeeH View Post
    . . my AUDIO menu remains gray.
    Erm, ? What "Audio Menu"?

. . . . .

Cee,
    when you add the 'music to the music track', what happens if you select that event on the timeline and it gets highlighted? Do you not see the Tools / Audio options active?
    You might also try right-clicking the event and see what comes up.
    (in Vegas: when you drag a media file onto the timeline, you automatically create an event that contains the file's contents)
    And like said above, the interactive tutorials do help, as does the program's Help function.

Grazie, maybe he means this ?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50473571/VMS11PLATToolsAudio.jpg

Last edited by vkmast; 07-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Cee,
    further to my post above, also see the VMS 11 manual and the chapter Adding audio effects. It does not talk about adding audio tracks (or audio) like you say in posts #3 and 4. I don't have Steve G's book, but I don't believe SG says so either. So there's the misunderstanding TimStannard refers to.
    Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Manual
    Last edited by vkmast; 07-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast