Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Only Way is Garioch : Episode 4

1. Default The Only Way is Garioch : Episode 4

Hi All!

Please watch and enjoy the latest instalment of our YouTube comedy series 'The Only Way is Garioch.'

This is Part 2 of the 'How I Met Your Reel Moon' trilogy within the series. (So don't let the Part 2 bit confuse you!)

The Only Way is Garioch : Episode 4 - How I Met Your Reel Moon - Part 2 - YouTube

All comments and constructive criticism are welcome, we love to get advice and reviews from fellow filmmakers!

Thanks!

Reel Moon Productions

I like you two guys this is why I'm going to say what I'm about to say.

You have good ideas but tend to fail to deliver them. This is, I think, a lot due to the timing of the piece. The editing needs to be much sharper. Example the journalist arrives. Cut to sitting down section, This should be cut. It should go straight from the door close to the journalist asking the first question. That is one example of many. You need to be much more ruthless in the editing to keep the audience engaged. I believe I've said this before to you. Cut sooner than you are on the one liners so you take the audience with you through the story. I felt as though I was waiting for you to catch up to me as the viewer, this should be the other way round were you are leading the way.

I hope you understand the point I'm trying to get across.

Blog Entries

I posted a response to this vid earlier. Nio idea where it's gone. Anyway. I like it and keep watching to the end. The jokes vary from makonh me cringe throgh making me groan to making me laugh out loud. But mainly you come over as guys who the viewer likes and wants to succeed. The only thing that let it down for me was the journalists acting. Not sure whether he was under rehearsed, under directed or just not a very good actor. He looked on the verge of breaking out in laughter which kills any sort of parody.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    the journalist arrives. Cut to sitting down section, This should be cut. It should go straight from the door close to the journalist asking the first question. T
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to diagree with you here Mr Blue (though if you felt it was dragging then for you it clearly was). Of course it may be the mood I was in when watching.

My take on what happens between the door closing and the first question is this:

It is deliberately slow. it is an opportunity for Andy to posture - to show the journalist that he is in control (and the audience what a prat he's become), things will happen at his pace. It give us an opportunity to see the pretentiousnes of the way he is acting. Once seated he deliberately waits for the journalist to be ready (and frustrating the viewer) before again enforcing his control by saying "can you hold on a sec" - which also leads to a good visual gag. I think this all adds to character.

The only bits that struck me as requiring tightening up were some of the down and out scenes.
    Tim

Agree about journalist.
    Mixed bag of good and bad (personal opinion)
    loved the bodyguard coming up.
    Andy was very good

Well done guys

P.s - Thought Andy should of had a small; dog wearing bling too .....

I didn't mean get rid of the best gag, the body guard standing up from behind the chair. Just the whole thing needed tightening up.

I've done a little edit of the journalist scene to show you what I mean. I've left in all the gags but just trimmed here an there. While not perfect, the pace (for me) is better.

Garioch Re-mix - YouTube

Blog Entries

Sorry, it doesn't work for m e- for the reason's I suggested. We've lost a lot of Andy's self importance. We no longer see him taking control - forcing the pace. We also lose the gag that relies on the fact he's made everyone (the journalist and the audience) wait before saying "can you hang on a minute".

Even if we left those aside, I think the compression of time is too severe. Cutting from the door to Andy seated is too harsh. Better would be a cut to a shot of Andy sitting (or finishing sitting) before delivering his line (which of course we don't have)

But whetehr we agree or not it's fascinating to have these discussions - especially with examples. Thanks for posting.
    Tim

8. Default

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for all of your comments and constructive criticsm, we really appreciate it.

Andrew always says "There is no failure, only feedback!"

In response to the comments made. We respect and can see all of your differing viewpoints.

1. The editing could be a lot sharper we agree with this, and we always aim to improve. FIlming beside a road made this even more tricky (never again!)

2. We rushed the filming to be honest and had a lot of corpsing on set which may have allowed some complacency to slip in (We know this is no excuse, but lessons have been learned)

3. Gregor (the guy who played the journalist) did this as a favour for us, he is not an actor and our actress who we had already cast pulled out at 10am and the cameras were rolling at 1pm! We had made too much preparations to cancel filming so I took anyone who was willing.

4. This Episode's main aim was to turn Andrew's character into an ego-maniac after one reviewer tells him he can act, followed by his downfall (due to his obvious lack of talent) and the set up for the two protagonists to be re-united.

We are enjoying all of these reviews.

Please, please, please keep them coming!!!

Reel Moon Productions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReelMoonProductions View Post
    3. Gregor (the guy who played the journalist) did this as a favour for us, he is not an actor and our actress who we had already cast pulled out at 10am and the cameras were rolling at 1pm! We had made too much preparations to cancel filming so I took anyone who was willing.
    I am so pleased to hear that. Even a very competent actor with so little notice would struggle to play the part properly in that timescale. He did a great job under the circs. And I'm guessing the places where I thought I saw him looking at his lines erm ... he was looking at his line?
    Tim

he was looking at his line
    If you look at the reflection in Andrew's sunglasses you can see the scripts on the floor.

[Filming beside a road made this even more tricky (never again!)
    It is a real pain filming near a road. If you do a pro shoot you need all sorts of health & safety stuff, risk assessments, Inform the local police/highways agency, florescent jackets, spotters, cones etc.....
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast