Thread: AVCHD (.mts) to XviD (.avi) - Terrible quality problem

Default AVCHD (.mts) to XviD (.avi) - Terrible quality problem

I hope you guys can help me with the following problem.

I have a
    - .mts file
    - using AVCHD compression
    - with a resolution of 1280x720
    - with a bitrate of 10 Mbps
    (taken with my JVC GZ-HM30 HD camcorder)

which I need to convert into an
    - .avi file
    - using XviD compression
    - with a resolution of about 640x360
    - with a bitrate of about 1000 kbps

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 10.0.

When I convert it into the desired format, using the desired compression, quality of the picture is just terrible - pixelated with an obvious "pixel motion".

I'm wondering what am I doing wrong?

Is the target bitrate too low?
    If that's the case, then how come video converted from other high quality sources like DVD turns OK when converted into XviD with a bitrate of around 1000 kbps? I've tried converting the video into XviD with bitrate up to 4000-5000 and only then is the video quality acceptible.
    In other words, am I to have no other option other than using much higher XviD bitrate (4000-5000) on the expense of file size?

Do I need to use temporary uncompressed (or some other) format?
    Do I have to convert the video into an uncompressed format first and then into the desired one? If so, what would be the most suitable temporary format in this case?

My ultimate goal is to achieve quality of video as in the case of converting DVD quality into XviD (with a bitrate of around 1000 kbps).

MP4/h.264 is out of the game because I need the converted home videos to be able to play on a standard DVD (XviD) player.

I hope I managed to describe the problem as straightforward as I can.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps my first question should be what problem are you trying to solve by making Xvid .avi files, are you trying to have really small file sizes ? It's always trade off between file size and quality. BUT making an .avi will be a bigger file size than using a more compressed format like mpeg2.

If you are making standard DVDs then you should render As MPEG2. Use the DVD templates available in Vegas, either widescreen or not depending on the aspect ratio of your footage. The normal resolution for a standard DVD is 720 x (576 UK) or (480 USA)

What you have done from your settings above is half the resolution and dropped the bit rate from 10 to 1Mb so it's hardly surprising the quality goes out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Perhaps my first question should be what problem are you trying to solve by making Xvid .avi files, are you trying to have really small file sizes ? It's always trade off between file size and quality. BUT making an .avi will be a bigger file size than using a more compressed format like mpeg2.

If you are making standard DVDs then you should render As MPEG2. Use the DVD templates available in Vegas, either widescreen or not depending on the aspect ratio of your footage. The normal resolution for a standard DVD is 720 x (576 UK) or (480 USA)

What you have done from your settings above is half the resolution and dropped the bit rate from 10 to 1Mb so it's hardly surprising the quality goes out the window.
    I need the file in .avi/Xvid primary because the home videos will be played on the DVD (Divx) player and for archive purposes (smaller file size). That's a fixed variable/requirement and there is no option of converting into DVD (mpeg2) quality or .mp4/.mkv/h.264.

I'm just puzzled by the following - how come when a DVD quality movie (mpeg2, 3-9 Mbps, according to Wikipedia) is downconverted into Xvid (Xvid, 1000 kbps, resolution around 640x...) picture quality is great (DVDRip-like), but when I downconvert an HD source (AVCHD, 10 Mbps) into the same format I get terrible quality?
    Last edited by octogon; 07-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.

I think your resolution might be wrong, I just tried a conversion with Nero recode using it's auto settings, 1280x720 at 8.5Mb per sec, Nero set the resolution to 448x256 at 1Mb per sec, just wondered if you could use 448x256, the trouble with such a low bit rate is how soft the video becomes.