Thread: I've got 400 to spend

1. Default I've got 400 to spend

Hi

This may sound a little lazy, but I'm worried about buying the wrong equipment for my P.C.

I would like to be able to connect my VHS record to my P.C. and edit home video and burn it onto DVD. I've got so mach home video that needs editing. I've already managed to persuade my family to buy me Adobe Premiere Pro as I'll probably be editing their video's too.

So I need to make sure that I buy the right stuff.

I believe that I need a video capture card and a DVD burner.

I went into PCWORLD but there were so many to choose from. Could anybody help me out by suggesting what to buy. I've added a link below which gives you my system specs. If there are any other details that you need, please ask.

http://www.lee.osullivan.btinternet.co.uk/DxDiag.txt

Many thanks

Leroy

Default re: I've got 400 to spend

Well, any decent DVD burner should do. I (relatively) recently bought a Pioneer DVD-A06 which works a treat. You should likely find them for about 100 nowadays if you look around. Plugs and plays in XP a treat!

As for capturing from VHS. I bought a Dazzle Fusion. It's sort of a last years model type piece of kit now. Convert analogue to digital fine and also actas a mutli card reader as well. Check out the likes of Dixons and Currys. It the sort of thing you might find an odd one of cheap in the managers specials shelf. That's where I got mine from anyway. Alternatively, I expect any of the other Dazzle external a-to-d units will be fine. Should be around 60-70 from memory.

The only other thing you'd need is software. Personal preference there.

Alan

3. Default

Many thanks for your advise.

I'd just like to know if the Dazzle Fusion is easy to connect to my VCR. Do I need any special cable or is that included?

Can it be connected to a DVD player?

Leroy

Default Dazzle Fusion

Good question! It does come with a few bits and bobs (leads wise) but not the lead you really want.

You will want likely want a scart-to-three phono lead to connect your VCR to the fusion device, or use the s-video composite in (lead supplied). I only had a scart intefrace from the particular VCR i wanteds to use so had to go out and buy the lead. I actually only spent about 4 on a lead which is 6 'phono' to scart. Effectively three phono's depending on whcih way the signal is travelling. Only ever used it from VCR to Fusion though, to date.

More details of the fusion at http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...29&Langue_ID=2

but I think this years model, which you're more likely to find is http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...27&Langue_ID=2

hope this helps

Alan

Default one last thing

the Dazzel Fusion is a USB only device. I've connected mine to a USB2 port and had no problems. Haven't tried it on a USB 1.1 so can't comment on performance there.

I'm at work now so don't have the beats near me but I;d be glad to look up any firther details when Iget home, if you have any more questions.

Alan