Thread: What HD Camcorder?

Default What HD Camcorder?

Hi, I'm very new to all this and looking for some advice.

I require to start taking video footage of production for the company I work for and as such i'm now looking for either a decent budget HD camcorder or an "expert" HD camcorder (i have to present both options to my directors!). Primarily I am looking to get really good quality video which I can show to clients.

What I'll be doing/require;
    1) Video of Welding activities, mainly indoors and well-lit environments.
    2) Video of external operations, in all weathers and environments.
    3) Potential to do time lapse recording (not sure if this is a Hardware or Software issue/query!)

Current options are;
    Budget - Samsung H300 or QF20 - 250-350
    Expert - Panasonic HC-900X - 700-1000

I am aware that the two above are poles apart however I want to know if anyone has experience with either model or could recommend an alternative within the same price range.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Can't give you any thoughts on the above cameras, I might suggest something in the Canon Legria range.

I've not got the model I use with me at the moment but I'll post the model number for you! It gives great performance for 800, It's not the camera I'd suggest if your into grading your own footage but it's a great point and shoot and it works camera, 720P and 1080I I think

The other consideration if you want to do time lapse content is for how long? Do you want to record 12 hours worth of footage for a time lapse? If so you might want to look at a video capture device to plug into a laptop and stream the footage onto a TB hard disk.
    Last edited by Bpotter908; 06-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.