Thread: Transitions

Default Transitions

Ok, I have searched and I am sure that this basic question has been answered before but please allow me.

I use Pinnacle and I am looking at going to Sony Vegas, I am happy to learn over time what is what BUT and it is a big BUT when you are dyslexic tutorials take time.

I simply want to "spit" the clip which is simple with the razor blade icon in Pinnacle and insert a transition but am finding it almost impossible to do in vegas

any help would be appreciated

thank you

Place the cursor on the point where you want to split the clip then press the S key. You have split the clip. To get a transition you have to over lap the two clips. This will give you the default fade from clip one to clip two. Go to the transitions tab and fill your boots with all the funky things you can do. Just drag any of them into the over lap area and play around with the settings available.

Once you have finished playing with the transitions, arrive at the conclusion that a straight cut is better and use that.

Do try and see the interactive tutorial that is in the help menu. It will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Place the cursor on the point where you want to split the clip then press the S key. You have split the clip. To get a transition you have to over lap the two clips. This will give you the default fade from clip one to clip two. Go to the transitions tab and fill your boots with all the funky things you can do. Just drag any of them into the over lap area and play around with the settings available.

Once you have finished playing with the transitions, arrive at the conclusion that a straight cut is better and use that.

Do try and see the interactive tutorial that is in the help menu. It will help you.
    I will try and thank you for your kind assistance, that was easier than Pinnacle, just need to find out how to edit the transition, length etc

Thanks again

The length of the transition is simply the amount of cross over between the clips.

Blog Entries

JR1, does your demo version have the "Interactive Tutorials" under help? Well worth investing 15 minutes running through them.
    It's also worth getting to grips with precisely what is meant by the following terms in Vegas - this will help you understand the Help, understand responses here and help you define your questions when you ask here.

Event: (a section of media on the timeline - eg a piece of video, a sound sample, a photo).
    Track: One horizontal bar on the timeline which acts as a container for either audio or visual events (and never both)
    Media: A file on your PC which contains video, audio, photos or graphics

Media differs from an event in that if you have a 2min video clipon your PC this is media. If you place it on the timeline, this is one event. If you place another copy on the timeline and shorten it, it is another event. If you split the copy you now have three events (the full length one, and the two shortened ones).

If you apply an effect to one of the events it will affect only that event.
    If you all the effects are on the same track and you apply the effect to the track all the events will be affected by it.
    If you apply the affect to the media all events will be affected including any future events based on the media.
    (You can also apply an effect to the whole film by adding it to the preview window - so there are four different "levels" at which you can apply FX. this makes the whole thing extremely flexible)

Another important concept (same as Pinnacle, but worth pointing out) is that events aren't really the media at all - they are simply pointers to the media as well as the start and end timings.

Another gotcha, moving from Pinnacle, is that priority in Vegas is top track down. In other words if you want to put titles over some video, your titles go on the higher track inthe timeline.
    Tim

The length of the transition is simply the amount of cross over between the clips.
    That is the same as pinnacle, but in pinnacle you just double click the fade/transition and it brings up an edit box where you can easily change the time settings, need to find the equal in sony, which I will be getting it is very good

Thanks

Like all event length manipulation it's based on placing the cursor at the edge of the event and dragging it left of right to shorten or lengthen it. You will notice the cursor change (double ended arrow with quadrant) when you are on the edge of a transition or over-lap of events (clips). If you have any thing other than a straight fade as a transition you will see a blue X in the transition area. Click on this and it will open the transition properties box. OR you can right click the area and select transition properties.

This stuff is all easier to do than explain. That is one of the reasons the tutorials are useful and the help contents & index is extensive.

Like all event length manipulation it's based on placing the cursor at the edge of the event and dragging it left of right to shorten or lengthen it. You will notice the cursor change (double ended arrow with quadrant) when you are on the edge of a transition or over-lap of events (clips). If you have any thing other than a straight fade as a transition you will see a blue X in the transition area. Click on this and it will open the transition properties box. OR you can right click the area and select transition properties.

This stuff is all easier to do than explain. That is one of the reasons the tutorials are useful and the help contents & index is extensive.
    THANKS EVERYONE

I am converted, this is a very good program, will be buying at the end of the month.