Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knowing what to charge, advice from a pro freelancer please?

Default knowing what to charge, advice from a pro freelancer please?

Hello, I recently produced a promo video for a company, but am stumped as to what a sensible price to charge for it is.

if you are experienced as a freelancer and could give me some advice send me a message and ill give you the link to view the first edit.

many thanks.
    Last edited by jacobd; 06-25-2012 at 12:09 AM.

How much did it cost you to do?
    Transport costs
    Rental of kit?
    Batteries, tape, ink from pens, lunch food.

Did you count the hours? Charge by the hour I'd say.

transport around 20, all my own kit so no rental (5d,jib ect) , a few after affects assets from video hive (30 ish) , actors were free, 7 hours filming and about 20 hours for edit and render...

Discussing a price after the job is complete is always a loser. You either offend the client who assumes this was a freebie, or you offend your course tutor at uni who would have assumed he had taught you a few basic business skills.
    Always, always, always, discuss a price, however small with the client beforestarting work on a project.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

ok thanks, I will make sure i do that in future. Surprisingly business skills weren't even touched upon at our uni!
    Last edited by jacobd; 06-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Discussing a price after the job is complete is always a loser. You either offend the client who assumes this was a freebie, or you offend your course tutor at uni who would have assumed he had taught you a few basic business skills.
    Always, always, always, discuss a price, however small with the client beforestarting work on a project.
    In your opinion what would a sensible price be given the above hours?, the client knows its not a freebie..

Ouch

Your already on the bad end of the stick from the sounds of it.

You'll have to put this one down to experience and take it on the chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Ouch

Your already on the bad end of the stick from the sounds of it.

You'll have to put this one down to experience and take it on the chin.
    not sure i understand!? Im not expecting much given the circumstances but would just like a rough guide!
    Last edited by jacobd; 06-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobd View Post
    In your opinion what would a sensible price be given the above hours?, the client knows its not a freebie..
    To be fair to both parties, try 20 per hour + costs, but you retain copyright which could be offered at a premium if it really appeals to him. It's a long way off the real costs (45ph) and he must know nothing comes free. This way he gets a cheap promo and you get a showreel.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    To be fair to both parties, try 20 per hour + costs, but you retain copyright which could be offered at a premium if it really appeals to him. It's a long way off the real costs (45ph) and he must know nothing comes free. This way he gets a cheap promo and you get a showreel.
    thanks, that's really helpful. what would the benefits of retaining copyright be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast