Thread: How to drag many clips into the time line at once...Hi, I'm new to this forum and hop

Question How to drag many clips into the time line at once...Hi, I'm new to this forum and hop

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope that you can give me some information. Have not been able to find my problem in search.
    I have downloaded the Trial Version (would like to buy when I learn to use it better) of “Vegas Movie Studio HD 11.0” and I'm running Win7 64 bit with plenty of hard drive space. My DV Camera is hooked up with Fire wire.

The home movie is captured. It is located in the Sony Vegas Folder with the .vf extension. There are about 25 clips in the library which I need to drag into the time line.
    Is there a way to “batch drag” all of them into the time line? When I try to do it clip by clip, there are big spaces between each clip and the clips are mostly so narrow that it's impossible for me to see exactly what they are. Also, I'm worried that I won't be able to keep them in sequence.
    There are so many tutorials on UTube but they don't explain about how to get the clips correctly into the time line. It's probably too simple for an explanation and I just don't understand it.
    At this point, I would just like to make a simple movie without a lot of special effects. Vegas Movie Studio seems to do so much more of what I'm capable of at this time.
    Also, when I try to open the movie which is now located on my hard drive (.vf) ,it will not play in Win.Media Player.
    I don't know if this is normal.... Have spent a lot of time trying to figure all of it out....
    So, if anybody would give me some help, I would appreciate it very much.

Select the first clip then while holding down the shift key select the last clip this should select all files then drag them onto the time line. If as you say your clips are short you can zoom into the time line by using the scroll wheel on the mouse or pressing the up arrow key.

The .vf file is not a video file it is the project file. It's the instructions to tell Vegas what to do with the video. To get a finished video you have to render it out. Click on file and select render as. Then choose the render type such as a Windows Media video .wmv and wait for it to render. This could take some time depending on the size of the project and the power of your computer.

It can be overwhelming when you first try using new software try going through the interactive tutorial thats in the Help menu, this will help you get started.

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful! I have also rendered the file and yes it took a long time but something went wrong because it looks like that it rendered only a small portion. I still have a lot to learn.
    My next question.....How do I burn the project to DVD? I haven't been able to find a way to do it.
    Again, thank you so much for your advice!

If you only rendered a small portion of the whole project make sure you do have "Render Loop Region Only" selected on the Render As options box.

In Sony Vegas Movie Studio I believe there is an option to burn to DVD but I'm not sure as I've only ever had the Pro version, I'm sure if you have a look through the Help files in Vegas it will point you in the right direction. Do you have a copy of DVD Architect ? If not, I'm sure you can find a free DVD burning program on the internet if needed. Make sure you render your project as an MPEG2, which is the correct format to put on a DVD.

see the Sony Vegas Movie Studio comparison chart here
    Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Product Comparisons
    The VMStudio Platinum includes DVD Architect Studio, which would give you DVD authoring and burning options.
    As for free burning options, ImgBurn is a very good and popular choice.
    Last edited by vkmast; 06-25-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Thank you both for taking the time to write. Yes, I used the wrong file extension for rendering and have to do it again. All in all, I still have a lot to learn. I haven't had a chance yet to get back to my project.
    I'm very glad to have found this forum. Thank you very much!!