Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snails: Life in the Slow Lane

Default Snails: Life in the Slow Lane

Do not watch this video if you suffer from a short attention span.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-15-2012 at 04:19 PM.

No ordinary snails by the look of them. Beautifully filmed, edited and paced to the music . . . But boy, do you need to get out more
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Yes, I sure do BUT when you have children your escapades seem to dwindle away.

I'm glad you liked it and thanks for watching.

Absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is one of my favorites of yours MB
    I often wash a normal garden snail in water if it is full of soil and grit when they are all clean and you look at them closely they are such incredible animals.
    It is a shame people just step on them and other small so called unimportant creatures and think no more about it your video has shown what marvelous intricate and almost alien like creatures snails are.
    the shot of them both moving towards the camera with the garden shed in the background looks like 2 giant alien snails have landed.!!!!!

The quality of the footage is amazing you can see the body fluctuate and almost ripple with colour when they move!!!! (ie) 1 min 53 to 2min 10

MB what export setting did you use to upload this to you tube???? It is incredible!!!

Your choice of music is spot on here for me the whole thing is captivating .......how big are these Giant African snails ???? orange size ?????

7.03 = WOW !!!!

I would love to have a shot in there of them crawling across a sheet of glass so you can see their foot working ..... plus it would give a different perspective too.
    My only criticism is a bit too long to me personally and it could be shortened to say 2-3 minutes with less time spent on each shot .....(personal opinion)
    but hey I loved this

WELL DONE

Fantastic!!! Really enjoyed the entire video.... Great music choice too. Loved the shots at 1:40 (great depth) and 7:25 (composition).... Tell us about the camera/lenses. Didnt understand the eventual handheld shots, since theyre (Im sure!) not running away from the area!

A bit long? Perhaps for this fast-lane world we live in.... but also a chance to slow down a bit. Maybe going down for a 4 minutes version?

Well done Sir!

Glad you like it guys. Close up shots always make the camera seem better than it really is. The true test of a camera is how good the shots look with distant shots. The camera was just a Panasonic TZ18 a little instant happy snapper. The hand held shots where because it was just a spare of the moment thing. It was a nice afternoon to I let Sid & Nancy out for a breath of fresh air. I was just going to take some stills but then I thought I'd shoot some footage to see what it was like. That's why I didn't use a tripod. it was just a spur of the moment thing.

I know it was long it's actually twice as long as the music I made for it but I had so much footage I didn't want to waste it and I thought I'd see how people coped with the long length of each shot. Also as Tony said "chance to slow down a bit".

The snails are about 2-3 inches long, well the shell is, when they are fully out they are about six inches long. It's funny you mentioned about cleaning snails Bob. When my wife saw the footage she said I should have given them a wash first. Ha Ha.

Thanks for watching.

Blog Entries

Excellent. Agree with what's been said. I actually went "Wow!" whane the 1:40 shot began. And it wasn't because someone had just poured a hot cup of coffee into my lap either.

My only comment is that you have plenty of material here and so i don;'t think it would lose anything if you cut the one or two shots where we see evidence of handheld us and a raher stuttery pan.

I'm glad you decided to delete the salt scene

I'll be asking to show this at the club.
    Tim

Your spur of the moment thing makes it even more great !!!
    6 inches long ...... it says on wiki they are the biggest land snails on the planet (found so far) !!!!
    What a great pet/s to have.

Yes I really loved this footage but I am an animal nut !!!

something else that is fun if you find a dying earthworm (all dried up) quickly dunk it in water for a few seconds and it literally comes back to life instantly ... you can then put it back in the soil were it belongs compared to the hot pavement!

I get some funny looks but hey I don't care its my good deed for the day !

I'll have to try that Bob, if I come across a dehydrated worm. Sounds a bit like a Pot Noodle.

I've made a short version which may be a bit more to peoples tastes but I'm a bit concerned I've lost the pace of the piece.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'll have to try that Bob, if I come across a dehydrated worm. Sounds a bit like a Pot Noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've made a short version which may be a bit more to peoples tastes but I'm a bit concerned I've lost the pace of the piece.
    Still works for me.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast