Thread: Which capture device?

Default Which capture device?

What capture device should I buy, without bringing Canopus into it as wife is hovering with cold steel. I want a wee box to got from VCR to Pc I already have the scart to S-Video and compsite sound lead. All I need is a box and have been looking at Dazzle and Belkin as are both under 50 quid,Wife puts cold steel down.
    I wonder if anyone could say which and what complaints they may have about either.
    I really only have a couple of tapes to convert to DVD so to spend a huge splodge of cash would be a bit daft (splendid as wife aint watching!)

Blog Entries

Cheapest way is get someone with a canopus joby to do it for you. If you're in the UK (and it seems like you are) I can offer a conversion service to DVD for a lot less than the cost of a box.

Tell me more! What I am after is raw, if thats the right term, footage to do as I will on my PC.

Blog Entries

1) Do you want to edit the footage?
    2) Do you have a miniDV camcorder?
    3) How long are the videos?

Yes I want to edit the video, yes I have a miniDV Camcorder (at Last) and I have 3 or 4 tapes of about 4 hours each to convert the first one I have just viewed a little of and its a bit of a job to track albeit on a very cheep VCR.

Blog Entries

Before you spend any money check whether your miniDV camera has analogue pass through. What is the make and model of your camera? Essentially to act as a DV pass through it will need analogue "in" connections - you then pass this to the pc via firewire.

Its a Sony Handycam DCR-HC14E

Blog Entries

Unfortunatly your model doesn't have analogue pass through and 12 -16 hours of tape is a tad too much for me to convert! The main reason is space - it'll take up about 160GB.

Ha Ha I'm not surprised sitting through 16 hours of someone elses crappy home video must be soooooo much fun! Well I was not thinking of sending them all at once so space would not be too much of a problem but I think the time it would take is a bit of a turn off? Thanks for the offer anyway. I was wondering if you could help anymore with a sugestion of a piece of hardware that would assist (without the risk of a Bobbitesq outcome)?

Blog Entries

Buy (and then sell) an ADVC100 from ebay