Thread: Live one take documentary filming techniques

Default Live one take documentary filming techniques

Get the best shots from only a one take and no rehearsal.

Narration is by Paul - the most natural text-to-speech synthesised voice available.

Blog Entries

Welcome to VideoForums Harvey, great to see a practical videomaker.

Get rid of "Paul".

I found it difficult to concentrate on the video because the electronic voice irritates. It would be far better to have a human voice, imperfections and all, rather than the sterile monotone. I agree that "Paul" is better than many synthetic voices but it detracts from the video in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Harvey,

Can you tell us what of this is yours? I get the impression that you have taken an article and a selection of clips from various sources and edited them together in a sequence to try out the synthetic voice as an exercise. I'm not criticising in any way and I think it's a worthwhile exercise, I'm just interested in how much of the source (video and script) is your own.

For what it's worth I disagree strongly with some of the definitions of a documentary as presented here and that's a worthwhile discussion, but not for this thread.

Finally, whilst it's great to see you paying attention to the "one video per thread" rule, hitting the forum with so many videos in one go is likely to be counter productive. there are up to a dozen or so regulars here who comment on people's videos, but wathing and commenting on all of yours is one or two complete evenings worth of effort. Feeding them in in dribs and drabs might have been a better ploy.

Of course I hope you are here for genuine feedback - rather than just hits - and I hope you will return the favour by commenting on other's films.

I'm enjoying your films at the moment. Welcome.
    Tim

"Can you tell us what of this is yours?" - It's all filmed by me.

I took the Documentary Definitions from a document that one of our Multi-Media Lecturers distributed to their students.

I'd be interested to know what you feel is wrong with the definitions.

Apologies for appearing to spam your forum. I only found yours the other day so wanted to catch up on what I thought you'd be interested in.

I'll slow down now, sorry.

Very interesting video Harvey
    I agree with Rob about changing the voice as it makes the presentation too clinical in my opinion.

But learned a lot from this great short video ......thanks for posting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_twyman View Post
    "Can you tell us what of this is yours?" - It's all filmed by me.

A great mix of examples then. And a lot of effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_twyman View Post

I took the Documentary Definitions from a document that one of our Multi-Media Lecturers distributed to their students.

I'd be interested to know what you feel is wrong with the definitions.
    Willdo. But no time now, but fundamentally it describes how to present evidence in a dry unbiased manner, like one might to a government enquiry, rather than how to make an interesting and engaging film.
    Tim

Blog Entries

My impression is that much of the "advice" is very old-fashioned and out of date. A bit like a school text book written by an academic rather than someone who has practical experience.

(I didn't want to say that before but now that I know you didn't write the script Harvey, I can, without insulting our newest contributor!)

Firstly, there are no "rules" in film making, only opinions. The only "laws" in video are the laws of nature. So talking about the "rules of documentary" gives the impression that you MUST do certain things. The "rules" are very student-idealistic and whoever wrote these "rules" obviously doesn't make documentaries. All of the so-called rules have been broken by film and video makers who have still managed to make excellent documentaries. Take Nick Broomfield for example, one of the best documentary makers around, he manages to ignore all of the "rules" and makes mind-blowing award wining documentaries.

It seems that the author can't make his mind up either. Having said that, the "rules" insist on "real life" and "filmed as they happen, not staged" then later we talk about dubbing music from a CD on a live performance and adding applause from a sound sample library.

The tips are okay for a holiday video or travelog but not really suitable for a documentary. The boat montage, for example. The long shot of the ferry stands on its own. It doesn't need the cutaways of sailing boats to make it interesting, in fact those interruptions detract from the shot, making the viewer lose the impression of the huge size of the ferry which the continuous shot gives.

and the final comment... "When editing video ALWAYS keep your shots short, to one or two seconds in length" This has got to be the worst piece of videomaking advice I have heard in a long time.

so, it could be titled "How to make a watchable home video" but it's not a good learning aid for documentary makers.

A final comment. These criticisms seem a lot harsher when written. It's not meant that way. You really are welcome here and I hope that you'll stay and carry on contributing.